SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lincann

Alkaline pH results -now what ???

lincann
14 years ago

In late June, a landscaper dumped several tons of 'topsoil' in our front yard, along with some compost. The soil looked beige and lifeless to me, but he said it came from 'farm land that flooded from time to time' and that's what he 'always used' ~ hmmmm.

He laid sod that is doing beautifully, cut out a flower bed and planted two trees (red maple and service berry) which are also doing well.

The next week, I planted a number of small holly (ilex crenata compacta), echinacea, moonbeam coreopsis, daylily, nepta, perennial salvia and liriope. This area receives full sun from noon to 6.

I found that in placing each plant, I was so unhappy with the look of the soil that I mixed in about 1/2 gallon of compost per plant. I thought this might improve what ever might be lacking.

Now a little more than two months later, there is hardly anything in bloom. While the hollies look really good, the other plants, especially the echinacea which should be in full bloom this time of year, are not doing so well. They have not grown significantly and one of the coreopis died. Several of the Big Blue liriope have yellowed leaves and appear to be dying back which may be a fungal disease.

I just got the results of the soil test back from the county extension (one sample of the 'compost amended soil' and one of the 'unamended soil' (what I call the stuff the landscaper stuck me with before I added compost.

The 2 reports showed practically the same results, but is difficult to understand and I could really use your help:

Phosphorus (P) 285 Very high

Potassium (K) 482 Very high

Soil pH 7.6

Buffer pH 7.4

Calcium 6,396

Magnesium 573 high

Zinc 10.9

Recommendation: "Nitrogen 0.1 to 0.2 lb/100 sq.ft."

Agents remarks: "pH is very high. Drop by applying 3.5 pounds of sulfur/100 sq.ft. and scratch into soil. Nutrients are acceptable - no need for fertilizer at this time. As new plants emerge in the spring, apply a water soluable fertilizer."

I'm hoping someone out there will be able to make sense of this.

Everything I find says that a pH of 7.6 is 'slightly alkaline'; at best 'alkaline', but no where do I see the 'May Day! May Day!' of it being 'VERY HIGH' pH ~ what gives?

Secondly, if I was to use some Miracid now, I would think it might lower the pH and improve the needed nitrogen levels, but at the risk of producing late growth and increasing the already high P & K levels ~ am I right?

Third, if I don't add some nitrogen (maybe in the form of blood meal) now and knowing we won't be due for a killing frost for another 6-7 weeks or do something to lower the pH of the soil, I'm afraid that all these new trees, shrubs and plants will go into winter under stress and might not make it. Do you all think that waiting until spring might be too late?

Forth, everything I read of applying sulfur says that in order for it to really work to lower the pH it must be dug in well, not just scratched into the surface. Please advise how to do this right. With a total of about 50 new plants, I can't stand the thought of digging each one up to really work the soil and not damage the roots.

Lengthy, but after putting so much work into this project I would be sick if everything died next spring, so I really need the good advice I know is out there. Thanks GA

Comments (6)