SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rob_norharco

JD 445 Rider Mower Issues - Need Help Please

rob_norharco
14 years ago

Hi,

I'm a Newbie to this site. But I've read a lot of threads hoping to read about my issues, and was very impressed with the amount of technical knowledge.

I have a 2000 JD 445 with about 500 hrs on it. I bought it to replace a GT235 so I could also plow snow in the winter more efficiently. I mow over an acre and a half and it's really hilly with a lot of obstructions. This mower with a 48" deck is perfect for me and the tasks I use it for.

When I purchased it, it ran fine. A little stinky but I thought it was just showing it's age. I used it all winter to plow and it worked better than I expected. In the spring, I used it of course, to cut grass. Before I could get through the entire season the issues started to pop up.

1) It smokes more now (enough to make ya sick after a couple hours on it).

2) Overall power seems to have decreased.

3) Steering is very sluggish to almost impossible under a full load (my 275 lbs & very steep incline).

4) There is a fluid leak in the rear, on the right side, after running it for a couple of hours, and does not leak after the engine is shut off and the mower is parked.

5) Towards the end of the season I noticed a flashing light on the dash, it's yellow, with the coiled wire symbol (I think that's what it is), that until I came to this site thought was a loose wire connection somewhere.

6) And the piece d' resistance, I rolled it the last time I used it so I need a new hood and dash bezel or entire dash. Don't ask how, lets just say I have very steep hills to cut. And obviously I'm an idiot sometimes.

I can handle most repairs, and I am mecahnically inclined, but not a mechanic by any means. I have (real) tools and a large space to do the work. What tools I don't have my friends do, and both are real mechanics, big Deere fans and multiple JD owners as well. They just don't have the time to spend with me in the garage on the weekends to get this thing up and running.

So, here's my question (finally): Should I attempt to diagnose and fix all these things or just take it somewhere?

I'd rather do it myself for two reasones, I prefer to be self sufficient and money really doesn't grow on trees.

I heard that the fluid leak is common from a cover and usually occurs around 400-500 hrs. I read on here it could be more involved, but not impossible, even for me to do, and sounds like a (cheap) gasket replace. Excessive smoking and or rich exhaust can be a couple things. I would immediately assume worn out piston rings. Which might also explain the loss of power. The steering thing has me baffled but I would again assume it's tied to the fluid leak, maybe a hydraulic line, or again, just a result of power loss affecting a fluid type motor (if one exists).

I origiannly thought I'd just take it to the dealer but then found out how much they charge per hour. so now I am re-evaluating things. I found a new hood (125 bucks cheaper than the dealer), so I can replace that no problem. But these things need to be addressed before winter sets in and it starts to snow. I have a snow thrower as a back-up but prefer to use my 445. I even intended on changing out the tires for a set with more traction that will help in both the winter and summer (remember, very steep hills), and add weights. Which is why I need more power, better steering, and no smoke or leaks.

I know this isn't a lot to go on so I appreciate any input from anyone. And if any of you guys know a expert near/in the Northern Harford County region of Maryland looking to make a few extra bucks for X-mas, that would be greatly appreciated too. I just want my Deere back to normal.

Thanks,

Rob P.

Comments (11)

Sponsored