SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdwing_gw

Year 2 of my own root OGRs/zone4(can't hardly wait)

birdwing
12 years ago

Last spring I posted to this forum with questions about which roses to purchase and about my general 'off the deep end' new addiction. All of you were so patient and helpful despite my nearly complete ignorance. At the time, I had tried to grow several Austins with no success other than Dark Lady who has bloomed and rebloomed her dark little heart out for 7 summers..many times into November.

Anyway, I discovered Sam Kedem (for the life of me I can't remember how..I think on the Minnesota forum) He has many beautiful own root antique and Austin roses a 40 mile drive from the city. 'Own root' is something I didn't really understand until this spring when all the Austins I bought from Sam came back like gangbusters this spring.

So now, there are about 20 roses in my yard about to burst (Rose de Rescht already has and I can smell her from 20 feet away and inside my house..) Anyway, I'm pretty much beside myself with anticipation. Here's the run-down and I will post photos when they bloom- Sorry I couldn't wait- Next week is going to be one of those garden weeks that I'll never forget..

Charles De Mills (planted last spring kind of small-ish now has probably 40 arching canes that are 6 ft or so long..tons of buds)

Cardinal Richelieu (this was a mystery/mislabeled rose last year so I'm not 100% sure but it looks happy..)

Mme Hardy (probably needs more light I may have to move her but still has maybe 10 buds)

Belle de Crecy (Not as crazy as CDM but still amazing and full of buds)

Fantin Latour (seems a little behind the rest but still 4 times her size from last spring and covered in small closed buds)

Tuscany Superb (I trained it to a small trellis earlier this spring and looks very happy-it's in a partial shade spot but has many buds)

Geoff Hamilton (giant ovoid buds- growing upright )

Lady Emma Hamilton (same but smaller)

Christopher Marlowe (actually bought this at another nursery when I was just jones-ing. It was the first one to leaf out and now is covered with buds and extremely vigorous and healthy, I usually avoid the coral thing but this one called my name)

Louise Odier (tiny still but I didn't get in the ground til late august. 1 ft maybe with little tiny canes but still covered in buds)

Sceptre De Isle (most disappointing one..a couple buds and small. Maybe not enough light)

Abraham Darby (I loved this one so last year..it rebloomed maybe 3 times and smells incredible. A little heavy headed..hoping the canes get stronger?)

Brother Cadfael (not as vigourous but a few big, upright buds)

La Reine (maybe needs more light but still has big beautiful ovoid buds)

Camieaux (Healthy and happy despite the fact it was a little sad when I planted it late last summer, this one smells amazing like red hots and licorice)

Fisherman's Friend (very scary long thick thorny canes..we shall see..there are buds)

William Shakespeare 2000 (blooming now, the first one after RDR.. weak strange growth habit and doesn't like to be cut or at least it wilts in the vase after 1 day)

Winchester Cathedral (many great big white/pink buds, upright habit..may bloom tomorrow)

Benjamin Britten (not from Sam's or own root but still growing..will be behind the rest)

Bishop's Castle (same as above)

Comments (9)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner