SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donk4kyv

Herbicide damage to trees

AMRadiohead3885
10 years ago

The farmer next door uses the no-till method and treats his soy bean and corn fields with herbicide. He has been doing this for many years, but this year, for the first time ever, after he sprayed with herbicide (I assume he was using Roundup), I notice the leaves on many of the trees on my property adjacent to the soy bean field showed severe leaf damage.

I can't see that he did anything different this year from years past, but this is the first time the herbicide has damaged anything in adjacent fields. I'd be curious if anyone else is having this problem. Perhaps they changed the formula in Roundup or whatever herbicide he is using. I haven't had any opportunity to ask the farmer, since he lives elsewhere and leases the fields to raise his crops.

The damage is particularly severe on maple trees, some of which are over 100 ft. from the edge of the fields. Some of the oaks show damage as well. The grass and vegetation on the ground turned brown only out to the edge of the fields he treated, so if this was due to wind-borne mist, it didn't affect the grass and weeds low to the ground.

Don in TN

Comments (8)