SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grassmaster_gw

Ag Tires Tearing up Grass?

16 years ago

I got some super lug ag tires a month ago for my JD GX255 and I am debating whether I should take them off and put the turfs back on. They are tearing up my yard a whole lot more than the turf tires, even when it is dry. I can tell I get a whole lot more traction, but they still spin a little and rip out bunches of turf now, instead of just rubbing the turf down like the wider turf tires did.

Here's the details: Switched 24x12x12 turf tires for 23x10.50x12 super lugs. Wheels appear to be very wide for the super lugs, but the bead seated and holds just fine. Right now they are empty, but I want to fill them with windshield fluid for better traction. I also have wheel weights for the rear too. The overall diameter is very nearly the same, so I don't appear to have much change due to diameter. I don't think the 24x12x12 super lug ags would fit, because their overall diameter is much bigger than the same size turf tires. There would be interference issues with the fenders and the mower deck.

With chains and weights, the turf tires did pretty good on snow and ice for blading. Mowing they did OK, but did slip quite a bit, especially on hills.

I LOVE the way the super lugs look on the tractor- they fill out the wheel wells great and really make it look more like a tractor. The wide wheels look a little strange, but I am getting used to them.

I will soon be switching to snow blade, and I am wondering if the ag tires will be better in snow and ice. I haven't tried my chain on them to see if they will fit the ag tires yet. I'm betting that the chains are not going to fit well due to the narrower width of the super lug ags.

Any thoughts, advice, or general experience to share here? What else should I try, or what should I do here?

If I need to keep the super lug ags, where can I get some decent chains for a reasonable price?

THANKS

Comments (10)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm