SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nexev

$70 1-1/2 Yard Compost Bin

nexev - Zone 8b
9 years ago

Hi All, as this is my first post I might not have the proper forum protocol so if I am off on something feel free to call me out.

Been doin tons of reading on composting as we have very sad soil here in the high desert and while open piles are not an issue here as we have plenty of room the drying winds just suck the life out of a pile in short order. Great drainage but that also means tough to keep moisture and nutrient at the surface.

So as my thoughts went towards some kind of container type pile trying to find an economical container that would offer up the 1 cu yd capacity needed for proper composting eluded me. There are loads of great systems out there like the three bin made from pallets but they didnt offer things I wanted like bottom access for continuous circulation of material .

It dawned on me one day to use corrugated metal, after some searching I saw that others had indeed used this but more so in the traditional square bin rather than a round bin as I had imagined. Have done quite a bit of searching and still have not come up with anything quite like my design so when I come up with a cool name I will christen it :D

The metal sheeting can be purchased at "Home Depot" or other places precut in 3' 6" lengths for about $11 each. Four of these will make a 12' circumference bin ending up with a diameter of about 45" and once up on the blocks will be just over 4' tall.

This bin will be a shade over 1.5 cu yds. Also a small kiddie pool upside down over the top will make a fine cover.

For added air circulation two 10' lengths of "4" drain pipe" (its already perforated) cut down to 45" and placed between the blocks will not only aid in air flow but also shed the material as it drops through the bin towards the access sides preventing material from ending up in a dead spot where it never moves through the system. I drew this up using 5 of these pipes because thats two lengths, the short piece off each pipe are put together to make the fifth and some soil can be shoveled into the void between the bottom two for stability.

Lastly four cinder blocks to sit on and its done.

{{gwi:307962}}

Thoughts here were for minimal tools needed. A screw gun and some self tapping screws will be needed to stitch together the corrugated. I would think close spacing of two to three inches would be a good idea. Put the screws in so they protrude to the inside to keep from snagging on them and use short screws so they wont tend to grab material inside the bin.

Be happy to hear and suggestions comments on this design. I have materials to get my first one together and will be doing that soon.

For composting materials we are going several directions. We will get goin again next year with the tree trimmers and try to get more chips from them but we also have Chinese Sumac I am going to begin coppicing for ramial wood and planting Japanese Empress for the same purpose. Where we are the invasive nature of these is not much concern and they grow well here making quite a lot of biomass without much effort.

We also got started planting comfrey this year and have about 40 or so nice looking plants that will be divided up over the coming years. I am figuring 4 or 500 of these would be a nice fit for our 2 1/2 acres occupying maybe a tenth of an acre and providing not only biomass and fodder but also shelter for beneficials which is another area we are trying to improve on our land.

Comments (13)