SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lola_lemon

Oh no! It's blind. Can I prune it?

lola-lemon
11 years ago

We had a really mild winter and where I usually have lots of cane die back on my roses, this year I had very little to none. Some roses even kept some of their leaves green. (and just 2 winters prior, we had snowmageddon!) Pruning usually is not a contemplative process for me --just whack the dead off, usually about 4-6 inches up from the ground, so I didn't go outside to prune thinking I would cut green growth by 1/3. I just took whatever was dead, clipped off old hips and stripped any brown or BS leaves.

Now I have 3 blind or nearly blind plants.

I have a Stephen's Big Purple that was a band last year and who managed 3 extraordinary blooms anyway. SBP has put on new growth in bunches at the ends of his canes (top) , but he has no growth from the main stem below- though I see eyes down at the bottom plumped up`--- and he has no flower buds at all. GASP!! Zero. The growth looks totally normal- not deformed or red or small etc.

There are 2 Chrysler Imperials about the same. One with growth low and high (that bunched up super branching that looks almost like a witches broom, but it's not) as well as regular long shoots- and he has zero buds too. The other CI, while just growing out the top-- has managed a whole 3 buds on a big plant.

All the other roses in that bed (Intrigue, Oklahoma, Lady Emma Hamilton,) were pruned very little and are full of buds.

All my other beds have roses ready to pop too. I've got brand-new-this- year-bands budding and newly planted (yeah 4 weeks ago planted) body bag roses budding up. Last years bands (Will shakes 2000, golden celebration etc.) are all budded well. young and old looking good.

So- Is it likely this blindness is from not pruning or rather a frustrating flaw of these 3 plants?

Should I go ahead and prune these guys by a third now and see if I can get some buds or do I have to be gentler?

I also wonder if I can take a whack at gertrude Jekyll after she blooms. She looks like an ostrich. or big bird with these bare legs. I never have had to worry about leggy bare ankles till now.

Comments (14)