SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Another stump grindings question - please help!

ostrich
16 years ago

Hi! I am new to all this so I would really appreciate your advice on my situation!

I just had a couple of dying trees removed. The stumps were ground up to this very fine mixture of wood and soil (my local soil is heavy clay). The tree removers left a big pile of the stump grindings in this area where I want to create a flower bed by using the lasagna method.

Thanks to the other recent thread on stump grindings in this forum, I have learned that the stump grindings may deplete the nitrogen in the soil. However, since my plan is to use the lasagna method to create this bed, by layering newspapers, compost etc. over the existing grass, is it OK for me to mix the stump grindings in there? OR should I really just put it on the very top?

My original goal was to start layering over the grass this fall, so that by next spring, I will have a nice bed for planting. However, I have a couple of shrubs that I want to plant this fall (within the next couple of weeks) in the holes where the tree stumps were. So how would all the stump grindings affect these shrubs? Should I use mostly a nice planting mix for these shrubs, and keep the stump grindings out of their immediate planting areas?

I would really appreciate your help on this! Thanks in advance.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional