SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toxcrusadr

Moving The Garden

toxcrusadr
10 years ago

Last year I had my garden soil tested and posted a thread on the test results as well as this one on strange disease symptoms:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/soil/msg0617293723257.html

I've been getting a lot of wilt and just plain bad performance for several years. This is a garden of 4x10 raised beds about 4-6" high, 20 years old, made from the native limestone based clay soil and lots of compost. It tests very good, 5-10% OM, high in P and K (actually P was almost too high), pH in the 6-7 range.

I'm thinking of moving the beds because our trees and the neighbors have grown up and are shading the garden. Also we both have silver maples which are increasingly sucking the water and nutrients away through masses of shallow fibrous roots.

I'm planning to move one bed at a time starting this fall, about 50-75 ft away to the last good sunny spot in the center of the yard. Hoping poor growth had as much to do with shade and tree roots as disease.

However I did have some odd things going on, like curcurbits and basil wilting one branch at a time and dying in mid summer. About half the beds have been fallow for 1-2 years now. Maybe the weakness brought on by too much shade and thieving tree roots made it easier for these maladies to set in, and things will be better.

I just don't know if fusarium or whatever else I might have had, will still be around. I hate to throw out this soil and replace it with new, I've always been opposed to that on principle.

Comments (17)