SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redoctobyr

Briggs Vanguard 18 hp v-twin, making a strange sound

redoctobyr
14 years ago

Hi guys,

I recently bought a used Generac generator, with an 18 hp v-twin Briggs Vanguard engine. Please forgive the non-tractor question, if that's OK. It's a horizontal shaft engine, with oil filter, oil pump, and a low oil pressure shutoff. The engine model is 350455, type 1162-A1 4011, code 970 40511. It runs nicely, but it makes a very disconcerting, sharp "clack" sound sometimes while running.

The previous owners could no longer get it to start. It came with the house when they bought the place, they had about $500 of work done to it, they had it running, then a few months later it wouldn't start, and I guess it sat for a while after that.

I bought it, and with some fresh gas, it is running really well now, but it seems like it may have something loose inside of it. When I first pulled out the dipstick, before trying to start it the first time, I found a piece of black plastic clinging to the bottom of the dipstick (I still don't know what that was). Before I tried to start it, I drained out the excess oil (it was above the Full line). When running, I would sometimes hear a sharp, metallic clack! sound. It made me think of something like a screw/nut sometimes getting flung around in the crankcase. I changed the oil & filter, but did not see anything obvious in the oil I drained out, or visible in the filter (however, I admittedly have not cut the filter open). I think, however, there are some metal filings in the oil I drained out.

I put a powerful magnet on the drain plug (the one on the side of the electric starter), and started it, and did not seem to hear the noise any more. I ran it some more (~45 minutes or so), and just changed the oil again. However, no chunks of metal came out with the "magnetic" drain plug, unfortunately (I was hoping I might have caught whatever it is). I stuck a small magnet on a rod inside the drain hole, and did come out with a few metal filings.

I have since removed the pull starter, as well as the shroud around the flywheel (thinking perhaps there was a pebble getting kicked around or something). I also removed the muffler, and shook out a small piece of what looked like wire, but I don't think the muffler is causing the noise. Ran it again, I don't hear it at idle, but at full speed, I can hear the clack sound intermittently, even with the pull starter and shroud removed. I have now put magnets on both drain plugs.

The spark plugs do not show any damage, and the noise is intermittent (could be 30 seconds between noises, or a minute, but it's not constant or consistent), so I don't think it's anything in the cylinder area.

I don't *think* it is coming from the generator head. I'd expect more of a whining/squealing sound if those bearings were going bad.

Is there anything common that could come loose and rattle around inside an engine like this? I bought the Briggs Repair Manual, it appears to show 1 screw holding the throttle & choke valves in the carb, so if it inhaled one of those screws, it would not be running properly.

Then, the imposing question, how difficult is opening the crankcase on an engine like this? I like to consider myself mechanically inclined, and am comfortable working on my car's brakes, etc, and my snowblower/mower/lawn tractor, but the biggest thing I have done to an engine is change the head gasket & adjust the valves in my OHV lawn tractor. Unfortunately, I don't know that I can spend a few hundred dollars to have someone open the engine and look inside for what's making the noise. I really want the engine to be right, but I need to decide on what to do. My main options, as I see it, are: 1) leave it, change the oil more often for a while, and hope for the best, or 2) dare to open the engine and try to find & remove what's causing the noise.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm open to suggestions. How difficult is it for a normal person to open an engine like this, if that's the appropriate next step? I'm sorry for the long post, thank you very much for any help, I really appreciate it!

Comments (29)

Sponsored