SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Your favorite 'found' rose?

luxrosa
13 years ago

Found roses are those that were once in commerce, but were not sold for several or many decades, and their original names were lost, and later the plant was found growing somewhere, and given a new name.

My favorite lost and found rose is

- "Westside Road Cream Tea"

which was found in Northern California.

I love this Tea because there are very few white Tea roses, and Tea is my favorite class of rose and "Westside Road Cream Tea" has

-shapely "goblet" formed large cream Tea roses, that are quite fragrant to my nose.

- wonderful apple green foliage

-first Tea to bloom in spring in a large collection of Tea roses, and rapid re-bloom through early November.

Plus it is one of the smaller Tea roses, only c. 4 and 1/2 feet tall by nearly as wide, in our area, near San Francisco, California.

I've also loved, and grown "Angels Camp Tea" and "Georgetown Tea" but had to get rid of both of them because they were defoliating from powdery mildew in my organic coastal rose garden.

I wish there was a medal to give to these persons, who found a lost rose. Some of these roses have been reintroduced into commerce, and if it were not for the efforts of those who found a lost rose and propagated from them, those lost roses would eventually become extinct, and be gone forever, instead of adorning our gardens with sublime beauty.

Luxrosa

Comments (21)