SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floridabear

AV's Under Lights In An AeroGrow Garden Unit?

floridabear
15 years ago

Is anyone growing any violets under the lights in an AeroGrow hydroponic unit? The light is so bright,any violet that I put under it starts burning within days. My question is..how high do I raise the light to know it is far enough away to make the violet grow and bloom.Yet not waste the light.

I have one of the compact models called the Aerogrow3,it has 1 flat compact fluorseant bulb in it,about the size of a large hand, and it is rated at '60HRZ,putting out only 26 watts' of light. At its lowest level,about 8ins,I can feel heat from the bulb,and it is very bright. It can be raised up to 2 feet away from any plant. I can set 1 or 2 small violets on the flat growing surface that the violet would sit on.

I cant see how 26 watts is so hot that it burns a violet,and tightens the new growth. But it does.

Does anyone know how far away the light should be from the violet? Or a way to figure out how far to raise the light from the plant. I am getting nowhere growing any of the seed kits in this compact model...I have 2 of the big AeroGrow models that could hold up to 6-7 violets on it, and has 2 very bright compact fluoresant lights in each. But they grow seeds easily and currently are. AeroGrow has no idea about this issue, so I figured I would ask in here. Does anyone have any idea how to figure out how I can use this compact unit to grow and make some violets bloom? And not burn or kill them?

Comments (8)