SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

CFL Bulbs VS AeroGrow Bulbs

6 years ago

Has anyone tried the 'conversion adapters', to allow you to use the round twisted CFL light bulbs, instead of the flat EXPENSIVE fluorescent AeroGrow plugin bulbs? In the older AeroGardens? Do the CFL bulbs still make plants grow and bloom? Especially African Violets?

I have seen these 'adapters' on EBay, they cost $7-18 EACH, then you can just screw in the round CFL light bulbs into them, instead of using those expensive AeroGrow bulbs. But do plants still grow and bloom under them? Does anyone have real life experience with these? Do they work, or do they kill everything? The picture below is of these adapters.

I just ordered 2 of them, to try them out, in 1 of my 3 AeroGrow 7 plug gardens that I have. I use them as light gardens for mostly African Violets, and for rooting sensitive plants, before putting them outside to grow. My AeroGrow bulbs are now SO old, and I need 6 of them, for my 3 gardens.

BUT 6 bulbs are now $59.95, they have some sale running now, just AFTER raising the price of the '6 pack of bulbs', by $10! You get to save the $10,...BUT it still makes them $.05 to low, to get free shipping, on a $50 order, it makes them $49.95....How convenient!! And if you dont use the discount, to get them shipped FAST, by paying full price, then the shipping is over $14! So no matter what, you end up paying $63+ for 6 light bulbs. Tax and shipping vary. As you know, you have to replace them every 6 months. So it gets VERY expensive. But, if these work, it is a BIG savings.

Thus the reason I am asking about these adapters.

What was your plants 'response' to being under them? I guess I'll find out in a few weeks, once I get the adapters, and buy the bulbs, then give my violets a week or so under them, to see if they grow and or bloom.

These are the adapters....anyone using them? And have an opinion about them?

Comments (2)