SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Cosmos were bad...Q. A. Lace is worse!

mmqchdygg
16 years ago

I'm ready to get out the weed-whacker. I have a bed in front of my livingroom window, that for two years sported tall Cosmos this time of year. I hated the look of the foliage all season until bloom-time, so yanked most of them this spring when they were tiny.

Now I have QA Lace. While a small stand of this is pretty, it has nearly taken over the space, and looks pretty wild...It must go. I don't want to wait too much longer so it goes to seed and makes a worse mess...I likely won't take the weed-whacker to it for that reason, but now I'll need to find something else for the space.

I planted some Hollyhocks in there beginning of the season...who knows if they did anything. They got run out of town by the Gloriosa daisies early in the game. And while I do LIKE the G-Daisies (when they have a nearby pal to support them), they, too, look horrendous this time of the year...especially with the QAL, which really isn't much of a combination.

So...that having been said, I'm wondering what I should put back there. Here's a pic of the space. Sorry for the fuzzy pic. This was taken earlier this season, when the lupins were in bloom...also thinking those might need to be kept in check, as I've heard they have a tendency to take over.

Thoughts on what I can fill this with for season-long color? I am definitely going to move a patch of Indian Summer Rudbeckias back there...they are GORGEOUS and have been since early June. Obviously orange...

Got any ideas for shades of deep purple maybe that would last all season? Or several deep purple plants that would keep the color going all season (even if the plant bloom is short)?

Thanks!

{{gwi:259240}}

Comments (5)