SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Lasagne Dilema, please advise

15 years ago

I found out about the lasagne technique last year sometime. And immediately employed it in a troubled and previously weed ridden area where I had hoped to be able to use for a garden spot. I had no idea what would come.

I was pleased with the results and now see the extreme value this process has/had in really changing the soil that I had previously. Making it rich and healthy and FULL of worms etc.

Here's the snag or at very least the dilema I am having.

I realize that the lasagne method is a no till method. I have had what I would call an infestation of stink bugs, leaf footed bugs, squash bugs and other bugs that seemed to be on my plants in excessive numbers. I did the best I could (and still do DAILY) at removing and squishing these disgusting things.

I'm afraid that If I dont till this area now (or when stuff is done growing of course) that I"m just creating a really nice cozy home for them for the winter. It's also quite possible that last winters lasagne layers, did just that for this generation to be so bad.

Is there a balance? Is there something I'm missing? I realize from other posts that controlling these bugs and preventing them from wintering over in my garden requires keeping things free of debris, but the "debris" is what I am considering the materials in the lasagne mix. Leaves, etc.

I will get in there and clean out dead or damaged plant matter and maybe that's really what is being suggested?

I appreciate your advice and suggestions. I just cant do another (bug) year like this one it was very tiresome and frustrating to see all my plants get bombarded over and over til they croaked. It was very discouraging to say the least. And like I mentioned, with adding all this OM I had probably the best soil I've had well EVER.

Comments (3)