SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

The Internet!

bakemom_gw
15 years ago

Years ago a wise gardener (storygardener - beverly) told me that, as many bad things have some from the internet - creepy crime etc., Garden Web is one of the truly good results. She is right.

How many of us have learned to grow from seed and how many have acquired seed from strangers and learned about plants they would have never grown if it was not for WS/GW? I know I am one. I have friends I will probably never meet in person and lots I have met. The kindness of strangers is really amazing in a world where many people are simply not nice.

Agree?

Comments (33)

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

120%, bakemom! Yes! The internet has personally provided me with easy access to information on a ton of subjects. Add in blogging (and the blogging community) a whole world of other perspectives and interests expand my horizons. And like you, I've 'met' so many new and nice folks (this forum for good example!). I mean, looka me! I'm WS'ing! Two months ago - never even heard of it! And while the not-nice make more noise and attract more attention than the nice, I believe that the latter overwhelm the former. :-)
    Kris

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

I was once told by a techie that the Internet will be so popular there will be no printed books one day.
    Just the opposite for me, I can review books online ask reviews on GW, then make my hardbook purchases.

Once a taboo to say you have an Internet friend is now common.

When my daughter was turning from a tween to a teen, alot of the bed natinal stories hit the news about myspace.
    I bugged her to delete hers, but her reply was:
    " Mom, you can't get hooked up with the wrong people if you don't reply to their email, I don't talk to poeple I don't know"

The only issue I see is the sedintary/ lack of socialization lifestyle of those, who are not as gregarious. The Internet is open 24/7/365, always someone to type to. My long time neighbors' kid will not go out of the house, but stays on the PC and chat.
    When she is out she complains how fat she is compared to the other kids and she has a difficult time with a group of kids, she needs to be right all the time and clingy to the one who is nice to her.
    It's ashame, the girl is very pretty, and she would probably lose those extra 20lbs if she moved away from the computer desk. Her low self esteem has gotten worse over the past 3 years, she is a senior this year and has no plans for a job or college. She just goes to school, or stays at home on the net.

• Related Discussions

Online - Internet Dating Sites

Q

Comments (15)
    I've done more than my share of internet dating. It's possible to meet "the one" this way. So is winning the lottery and being struck by lightening! Get out, join a hiking club, take a class, do the local art walk, become involved in volunteer work, hang out at the local coffee house, go to church. Internet dating can work but it's like trying to take a shortcut to your goal that is questionable, like a fad diet. My opinion! With all respect, I've met some wonderful people online but nothing takes the place of social context and a sense of community when you date someone. It really does make a difference.
    ...See More

Conflicting internet info on Mint

Q

Comments (4)
    Neither plant will repel bees and as noted, when in flower mint is very attractive to bees. To maintain the best flavor, basil should not be allowed to flower but if it does, it will draw bees as well. Planting mint as a 'cover crop' is not a good idea but not for the reasons you think. Mint is a very aggressive spreader and hard to remove or eliminate from planting areas once established. Best planted in its own dedicated container to control spread. OTOH, basil and tomatoes are a classic planting combination.
    ...See More

Internet articles say that shower pans need replacing every 5-10 years

Q

Comments (3)
    Tile is a luxury, and its being done cheaply and badly by those not qualified to do it. They don’t waterproof correctly, and the whole thing rots out. People think they can get something for nothing and hire the $1.98 craigslister instead of the 10K shower qualified tile professional. https://www.ceramictilefoundation.org/homeowners-guide-to-hiring-qualified-tile-installer?hsCtaTracking=a225d16e-c8b5-4bcb-85ee-3db5944d7e26%7C975a0ee8-c1b2-4a20-a5a0-c2b01471a8f4
    ...See More

Internet speed question

Q

Comments (14)
    A few updates: I took the cable modem back to Spectrum, and they said, "did you activate it"; my answer was "no", so I have brought it back home, but haven't activated it yet (the old one seems to work fine). BUT another problem cropped up - my Wi-Fi started acting "flakey". Many of my Wi-Fi-connected devices quit working, including two thermostats and a BlueSound Wi-Fi-connected powered speaker connected to my NAD home audio system. I took to heart the suggestions of many of the people here and elsewhere that my router was too old, and I should get a new one. I purchased a recommended tp-link AX3000 and set it up. Of course, all my Wi-Fi-connected devices had to have their connectivity changed to the new router and password. They all now work fine, except for the speaker, which I can't get to connect. I have a ticket in to BlueSound on that device so I'm hoping for success (they are famously slow to respond). It does work when wired, but I have no Ethernet cable near where I want to place it. One problem with BluSound is their setup procedure. It's only done through a mobile device, in my case, an iPhone. The first step is to go to "settings/WiFi" on the iPhone and look for the desired device. Under settings there is "Wi-Fi" and "Networks". All my Wi-Fi devices show up under Networks, including two printers, my thermostats, etc. But, frequently, not the speaker. And the router shows up under Wi-Fi, not Networks. To Denis, what happens if you connect a wired network device directly to the modem and not go through the router?
    ...See More
  • docmom_gw
    15 years ago

Absolutely! I think the beauty and joy this forum alone contribute to the world is immeasurable. The folk here exhibit all the wonderful attributes of generosity, patience, tolerance, persistence, enthusiasm, faithfulness, etc. Spreading those qualities around the world, via any means, can only better everyone it touches. (Not to mention the gardens!)

Martha

• clarejoe
    15 years ago

The knowledge to be gained is endless, the acquaintances and friendships (GW), the reminiscing about childhood pasttimes (facebook and their groups), the ability to purchase odd items (ebay), the realization that there are soooooo many kind and generous people who are willing to share with you even though you are a stranger (all of those on this message board) is why the internet is priceless and, in my opinion, one of the best technologies to come of this age.

• ghoghunter
    15 years ago

I totally agree Bakemom. I am constantly amazed at the amount of helpful information I can find. It's like having my own personal library available 24/7. My sister lives all the way in Iowa which is 1000 miles from me. I can communicate with her everyday through e-mail and Facebook. Of course one needs to evaluate the information and use common sense but to my mind the positives are much greater than the negatives.

Joann

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention I have traded seed on here since way back when Spike owned it!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

You are so right Bakemom. Especially for those of us who live in areas where not all resources are available.

There is no doubt that my gardens and friendships have grown due to the internet. As I look forward to the spring, I also look forward to the possibility of meeting one of my new winter sowing friends - an American who posts on this forum all the time and who's gardens I've seen and love. She may be coming in this direction this summer and meeting her and showing her my gardens would be so exciting! :O)

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

How true! I have sat amazed many times about the fact that I can instantly have a world of knowledge about any subject, at my fingertips, even at 2 or 3 in the morning when I can't sleep.
    Kids and grandkids have used it for many projects, and I can look up anything also....book reviews, plant info, answers to the questions on game shows (:)). ...and yes I have been especially thrilled to find GW and WS. I remember the day I clicked on a link and up came GW...I couldn't believe it!! I had lost the two people that I could talk gardening with (they just have lost interest in gardening) so here is the only way to get my 'fixes' even if I don't join in the talk, I can still listen in and get a smile or some interesting tip or a heads up on a really great plant to add to my garden wish list,or even the seeds for that plant! Finding WS was like the biggest light bulb going off....finally I could indulge my urge to be able to grow the amount of things that I wanted to grow. I have also met several members from the Canadian garden ex. at the annual swaps that are held in the spring.....got some great plants too.
    Of course there is the agony along with the ecstacy :)
    I have lost all my info twice in the last year and all my records of trades and who sent what and what I sent to people is gone forever.....some I definitely remember, but sometimes I think I may have traded with someone but just can't remember what the trade was...embarassing and I feel bad. :( I am going to keep way better track of things from now on.....on paper! ;')
    gg

• carrie630
    15 years ago

So true, bakemom - and YOU are on the top of the list for KINDNESS...

Actually, one day in 2004, I decided I was tired of buying plants and googled "growing from seed" - I ended up on the Growing from Seed forum, where Trowelgal (Tina - who has since become a good friend) directed me to Wintersowing and of course, I've been hooked since then.

Funny thing - when you are new at growing from seed, you (or at least I, stupidly) think that one year the seeds will be like 2 inches, the next year four inches - ha ha

goes to show you how dumb I was (Although I should have remembered my husband planting a flower garden when I was pregnant and the flowers were so tall that year...) - But, it just seemed too good to be true.

Great thread

Carrie

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Totally agree Bakemom! I wouldnt be where I am at in my gardens and knowledge if it was not for all of you...Thank you everybody! GW is just like coming home....Barb

• richdelmo
    15 years ago

Cheers, I agree Bakemom

• pitimpinai
    15 years ago

Aye, aye, bakemom.
    Ditto here to everyone's comments above.
    The Garden's Watchdog drew my attention first.
    Then I found the GW. I liked it so much I paid the dues even though it was not required.

My first love was the Soil, Compost, and Mulch forum. Then I went to a lot of other forums. But the WS is my long time and most frequented place. All of you have made it most welcoming and cheerful place for everyone alike. Through the GW and WS, I have made many friends far and wide and met several. My life has been enriched way beyond my wildest dream.

GW gave me a jump-start on the Internet. To think that I didn't even know what Yahoo or Google was. Now I do banking on line, shop on line and many more. Kudo to the kids who created the Internet. J

Tiffy, a visitor, huh?? How exciting. A couple years ago my family met a couple at a B&B in BC. They invited us to visit them on our way back from Alaska. We had never met kinder strangers. Only in Canada, I suppose. :\-P
  • trudi_d
    15 years ago

Born digital is the way of the Winter Sower.

• PVick
    15 years ago

Ditto, ditto, ditto! I originally searched on the internet looking for ways to grow tomatoes in containers. That search led me to GardenWeb, and the rest is history. I think I can honestly say that my interest in plants has gone way beyond tomatoes!

I've "met" so many kind and generous people thru the internet, and mostly thru GW; for someone who is basically a loner, I can now proudly say that I "know" people all over the world!

Of course, I can also blame the internet for all the soil, and mulch, and worm castings, and bat guano and SEEDS all over my apartment.

All good.

PV

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    15 years ago

I agree completely. I have found so many answers to gardening questions on the internet; it's an amazing collection of knowledge to draw from. I also found Gardenweb while Spike still owned it; I've often wondered whatever happened to Spike and send good wishes his(?) way for giving us Gardenweb. I spent my first few years in the roses forums, but then branched out to other forums, eventually finding the Wintersowing forum. I must say that although I don't ever feel as if anyone on Gardenweb treated me badly, you folks on the Wintersowing forum are absolutely the nicest bunch I have ever run across. You have no idea how wonderful it is to come home from a day at work where everyone is sniping at each other and spend some time with you all who are so eager to help and so generous with your seeds and advice.

Lois in PA

• not_a_contessa
    15 years ago

I agree wholeheartedly, I have learned so much here about cooking, baking, gardening, and endless other things that I find interesting. I do a lot of shopping online too, and I love being able to compare items before I order. I also have been known to peddle some things on eBay.

My biggest surprise was seeing pictures taken by Hubble and the other newer telescope. I am absolutely blown away by space and what exists out there that was formerly unknown to us. In my next life I want to be an astrophysicist.

Mary

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

I agree totally! I would not be gardening on the level I garden on if not for the internet, and GW in particular. The internet has opened amazing new worlds for me, from gardening techniques and meeting new gardening friends all over the country, to finding relatives I didn't know I have! I'm also able to keep in daily touch with family that is far away.

I was just telling my kids the other day that education is a life-long journey that does not end when you graduate from school, and that the internet is one way to keep on learning!

:)
    Dee

• lblack61
    15 years ago

I agree, Bakemom (clink the chardonnays)

I would never have built a Lasagna bed (or had known to)
    I would never have grown another veggie beyond tomatoes
    I would have never started a single seed that said "difficult to germinate"
    I probably wouldn't have started anything from seed AT ALL!

And if you all weren't so nice, I probably wouldn't have done any of those half as much. You're encouragement and lovingly light-hearted (sometimes full on :-) humor makes this forum in particular a wonderful place to be and participate in.
    I wish everyone who was on here would have some flashing sign on their head when they're in public so I could run up to you and give you a BIG HUG whenever I saw you!
    And if I'm ever going to be in any of your necks of the woods, I'll be letting you know...

Linda

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

I agree.
    We are so bless to have such wonderful resources at our finger tips.
    To remember having to run to the library every time I need information about something.
    Just love all of the information on space and stars and the list is way too long.
    I also think it would be best if some use this tool in moderation. There are too many things out side of the internet to enjoy as well.
    The GW has been a blessing for me. The friends and information have all been so welcome.
    To see total strangers play it forward. Well I just can not believe it.
    Yes there are evils out there in the big bad world. But I hope some day the good will get more attention than the bad. It is too depressing to see all the bad information all the time.
    So There is always the GW to brighten my day : )
    Bonnie

• daisydawnny
    15 years ago

I am new to GW and WS...but I am overcome with the generosity of either knowledge or seeds here. I hope to make many many friends that I can share my passion for gardening here, my 3-D friends have zero intrest in my hobby (addiction) ;)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

LOL @ 3-D friends.. ditto here daisy!

I, too, found GW thru a simple search for growing tomatoes. I was truly WOW'ed, and mesmerized seeing everyone's jugs covered w/ snow. (heh!) It was so hard to believe, but it really works! Since then I cannot count the hours I've spent searching forums on here, reading threads and learning learning learning! Everyone here is so kind and willing to answer questions and virtually hold the newbies hands along the way. And the outpouring of seeds from generous gardeners.. so amazing. I am really thrilled and feel so lucky to be a part of this 'community'!!! :)

~Wendy / sassyb

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

I couldn't even begin to mention all the ways that the internet has had a 'positive' affect on my life which includes meeting my husband through a cancer support forum - he is a cancer survivor and I was trying to deal with the loss of my husband from cancer. I have met several friends on a racing forum and we meet every year in Charlotte NC for a family weekend and now the kids and grandkids that have met each other from that experience are myspace and facebook friends - that has been going on for 7 years now. And then there is GW - wow can't even begin to say how much I have learned and the friends made on here. The Carolina Gardening forum has a group of Raleigh area gardeners that meet twice a year for plant swaps - my gardens are full of their plants and it is an afternoon of fun I look forward to twice a year, I link onto other gardeners blogs on the Cottage Garden Forum to some of the most beautiful gardens and get ideas and learn, the WinterSowing forum has the most helpful and encouraging group of fellow 'internet friends'. As for finger tip knowledge and information - well it is endless. While I still believe it can be abused and caution should be taken when meeting people it still remains a wonderful window into worlds we can only dream about. I have to second the Hubble telescope - fascinating pictures that I never tire of looking at. Where else can you view in one day the tiniest of Gods creatures, beauty of nature and the wonders of space all with a click of a keyboard.....

Lynne

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

I agree. And all I have to say about that is, Thank you new friends! :-)

Carrie *who is sending sunshine and green sprouts to all, if only in thought*

• barbe_wa
    15 years ago

I agree with all of you. The internet has been a mindsaver if not a lifesaver for DH and I. We have days during the winter when we are snowed in, and we have a very small house (just one big room and a bedroom in back). Things could get a bit testy if we didn't have our internet friends to talk to. He plays chess every morning with a German friend we met 30-something year ago when we were stationed there, and I have my gardening friends as well as a family website that I run. He gave me a laptop for Christmas so now I don't have to wait until he's finished with the desktop computer. I'm sure we could continue to live up here without the internet but it sure wouldn't be as pleasant or as much fun.

• docmom_gw
    15 years ago

I want to meet all of you! I enjoy this forum more than I can say, but I much prefer to communicate in person. I miss the vocal inflections, facial expressions and body language. I want to HUG all of you and share a glass of wine and cook you something delicious and rub your back. I want to see the twinkle in your eye and hear the sighs of contentment as we soak in the sun and breeze. I wish I could arrange regional Gardenweb reunions, but it's not realistic given the distances and peoples schedules. I'll just have to continue enjoying you all from afar.

Martha

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Well, I, for one, would still be a prisoner of "the recipe on the back of the packet" sowing, and my garden would be full of Petunias & Marigolds from the local nursery, and "Annual Mixtures" if it wasn't for an accidental landing here from a search for 'sowing seeds in winter' in 2005. I was expecting to find something about indoor setups, but fate landed me here instead. This is SO much better!

• ontheteam
    15 years ago

Okay so this profile on me says May 07..
    I Konw it's gotta be at least 10 years... I found GW and the Rose forum when Sue still owned Tiny petals,and was single and living lavid loca in chula vista...
    I was at GW when Spike ruled..I was one of the trouble makers at the Garden Party then...been Mode.RosesAreRed..to get around banning.I was Mode73 on Sept 13th 01 when the boom came down..I left to have a baby and all my friends were gone..I found them again..alot of the GP folks landed at Delphi... but babies take a lot of time lol... i moved in 02 and had no place to garden...and when I did I came right back to GW>

Thank GOd for the internet. It helps me every day. I have met by best 3'd friend thru it. I keep in touch with all my WA state friends with it and the friends all over the globe we made while DH was in the USAF.
    I got free seeds,free advice,handmade quilt squares ...Long live the internet and GW!

• drippy
    15 years ago

People around here think I'm a plant expert because of what I've learned here at GW - I think that's hilarious, but let 'em think it!

I love the 'net for all sorts of things - a recipe I'm too lazy to go to my burgeoning folders to look up, and especially knowing that DD's flight has landed safely on the other side of the pond when she flies back from visiting me - being able to check flight status is awesome!

• irisgirl
    15 years ago

Don't think I can add much to what all of you have said. For a less than outgoing person, the 'net is just the best way to meet people, share information and experiences - all that. I do most all my shopping online, also banking & ALL bill paying. I am saving so much gasoline I amaze myself! lol

I have a REAL vegetable garden now, and am growing flowers I had never heard of before finding GW. Thank you all for being here and sharing yourselves.

• lillyjane
    15 years ago

My best friend told me about iVillage (she was on a site where you can put in your pic & change your hair styles) She told me how safe it is, so then I started looking around & found Garden Web, The first year I thought "this is to good to be true." The 2nd year I tried it! Well hello !!! Now I am a TOTAL SEED & CLEAR PLASTIC BOTTLE JUNKIE! " I was never able to grow from seed before Thanks Trudi ") & Thanks to Sue & the rest of the gang at the test forum cause I couldn't post pics or make stuff bold LMAO without them.
    Again, Thanks Trudi for all your hard work & for sharing your knowledge with us, and to Sue & the gang for their patience with me while I am still riding on the short bus. OH, back to the post ---- "without the internet none of this would have be possible for me."
    lilly aka jan ")
    Great post bakemom ") but the post choosing ONLY 3 favorite classics was a tough one.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

I first stumbled across GW in '05 when I was trying to figure out what would grow well at my high altitude location, and did a Yahoo search. It brought me to the Rocky Mountain Gardening forum. Then when we moved to our new house, and had nothing but dirt for landscaping, in a small town, in the middle of a bunch of slightly bigger small towns, LOL, I knew where to go for advice. Somehow I ended up at the Growing from Seed forum, and someone told me I should check out the WS forum. It took about 15 seconds to become completely hooked.

In addition to how much I've learned, and how many friendships I've made, the seeds that I have access to, through trades, swaps, and online seed companies, has allowed me to grow way more variety than I could have ever hoped for, if I had relied on local sources.

The other thing I love about the internet, is how fast I can find whatever information I need, without fishing through dozens of books to find the answer. Search engines rock!!!

Bonnie

• triona
    15 years ago

I work in the computer industry so I've been on the Internet since before the Web was around. I've always found it a valuable research tool and I'm delighted to find communities like GW that provide supportive environments. The Internet is no different that real life in terms of safety, you just have to use your common sense.

If it weren't for GW I wouldn't know about winter sowing and would never have found the addiction, ahem, forum known as the Seed Exchange. I also would not have met kind people like bakemom, mnwsgal, terrene, boop, mpmom and michelelee, who sent me such yummy goodies in trades and also donated seeds for my daughter's preschool winter sowing project. We're doing it this week and I'm not sure who's more excited, me or the kids!

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    15 years ago

This headline of course is an attention-grabber: "Using Facebook could raise your risk of cancer."

However it is true that our behavior can influence our health, and I am sure that people (esp the young 'uns) spending hours on the Internet is going to have long-term effects on their health. It is a giant experiment on them, since obviously this is not something we have data on.

The rays from the computer are bad on the eyes and on the brain. There is sitting still. But esp the loss of contact. No way that having a million"friends" on Facebook has the same effect as friends in real life.

Researchers have done studies and proven (as if common sense wouldn't indicate this) that interaction with people in the real world has a beneficial effect on our immune system.

So no doubt in 20 years we will have the results of this giant experiment. Kinda like cell-phone use. The credible evidence (my judgement)is that there is cause for caution. I can imagine in 20 years, "Oh, gosh, we're sorry to tell you that of all you people using cell phones, some 20% are going to get a brain tumor." gee too late now.

However, the Internet does provide us with an inexhaustable opportunity to educate ourselves. And to recieve support.
    Like anything else, it can be over done.

Here is a link that might be useful: effects of overuse of Internet

Sponsored