SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbest123_gw

I really screwed up this time

15 years ago

In 50 years of gardening, I have never had a problem with squash bugs. I have always mulched the garden and flowerbeds with compost. In the late fall the garden and flower beds were cleared of any debris or vegetation and hot composted. The garden was tilled and raked and the compost mulch on the flowerbeds had all but disappeared into the soil.

Late last fall, in the process of converting my garden to SFG I created a severe shortage of compost. My solution was to go to city hall and get free mulch for the flowerbeds and pathways in the garden. And since it was free, I applied it heavily and it looked very nice.

In spring and early summer, the garden did better than I had hoped for and was very pleased. I spent the mid summer patting myself on the back. Well when the hot dry part of summer hit it was evident that the cucumbers, cantaloupe and summer squash had a problem. I became convinced the problem was lack of rain.

Last week I started cleaning the summer squash patch and removed part of the mulch to my composting area. When collecting the rest of the mulch and remaining squash vines, I noticed thousands of squash bugs scarring everywhere. They probably headed for the wood chip mulch in the flowerbeds and I probably contaminated my finished compost with the debris I placed there. Now what do I do?

I had a decent harvest this year but I am concerned about next year. I did a Google search and it seams that the only effective control is Sevin. Does anybody have any suggestions?

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Comments (8)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals