SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Portable Blue Foliage for Sunny Beds?

arbo_retum
9 years ago

I always thought it was brilliant that Gertrude Jeckyll used potted hostas in spots where some large leaved blob of color was needed at the time, to be moved to different spots when called for. I myself would like to find an equivalent- a plant with a solid mass of very blue foliage- for temporary placement (on a riser) in various sunny beds.Most of the spots are next to one of our many yellow conifers, barberries or other shrubs. I'm assuming that the really blue hostas wouldn't like full sun in a raised pot, right?
Blue Lyme grass would work well except that all of mine flop horribly (does yours? should I try it in horrible crappy construction site soil or something?)

Fothergilla Blue Shadow would work if it were young. The blue leaved canna, Erebus, and rudbeckia hirta are the right color but neither have the mass I want. Has anyone ever seen a glaucous colocasia/alocasia? That would seem perfect. Can't be a phormium (can't overwinter them) and I would stay away from thorny desert plants....... Anyone have ideas? I appreciate your time!

Here is a link that might be useful: great fothergilla article; scroll to end for mt airy and blue shadow

Comments (16)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner