SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

A Question About Space for Two Climbers

At the moment I have NO climbers, having moved the last survivor, Lady Hillingdon, over to Tea Row where, if it survives, I plan to treat it as a large bush. Since it will be supported on either side by other roses I'm hoping this is feasible.

The climbing rose I miss the most is Reve d'Or, which succumbed to overheating when I foolishly planted it against a sunny house wall. I would dearly like to have this rose again, but am also at present growing Annie Laurie McDonnell, which will hopefully in my lifetime graduate from its 1-gallon pot and grow against an 18-foot wall which at its worst receives sun until noon, but often less at certain times of the year. Mutabilis is growing there right now and would have to go. It often mildews and just doesn't have the flush of bloom or dramatic, large flowers that I envision for that area. I've grown Mutabilis in quite a few different gardens and really like it, but would be willing to give it up for two gorgeous roses like Reve d'Or and ALM. My question is whether an 18-foot wide wall, approximately 8 feet high, could possibly accommodate these two climbers. One rose could theoretically arch over the doorway and would then have another wall or two to spread itself on.

Am I kidding myself, and is one climber of this size all that this wall could support? The rose(s) would have at least 6 feet of growing room in front of the wall, i.e. would not have to lie flat against it.

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks about this. I have little experience with climbers (and most of it not good), and would therefore value others' opinions.

Ingrid

Comments (6)