SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

two questions about pantry--please?

loves2read
15 years ago

We are buying a 3 yr old home that the owners designed--it has some accomodations for the MIL who lived there and used wheel-chair or walker at times...

there is a HUGH (to me anyway) walk in pantry--like 6 x10 or 12 ft--maybe more--it has a high slider window but I don't think there is an A/C vent--the four times we have been in the house I have noticed that there is a musty smell in there..I forgot to look for an A/C vent when we were there the lest time...I know the half-bath in the hall--which is pretty small has a fan but no A/C vent (the inspector pointed that out and said basically it was not a problem since it was not a full-use bath that would see lot of use...

But I am worried about the musty smell--maybe there was dog food bag left unopen or something---don't know...

Anyway--IF there is no A/C vent in there what is the best way to make sure there is better ventilation?

Could we drill some holes or get some nice grills to put in the bottom of the door to pantry to allow for some circulation?

I would even consider a nice wooden fixed louver door painted ---if it were more of a country kitchen I would look for an old fashioned screen door and use some bronze screening material or maybe died cheesecloth to screen out the interior...

You can only see into the pantry if you are facing away from the living area--so chaning the door look would not really be that noticible to anyone unless you were in there...

Do we need to have a vent added to the room (don't know how easy/expensive that would be)

Maybe just get some type of air cleaner to use in there?

Second part--

The pantry is so big I am kind of intimidated about how to organize it...

It has wood or mdf painted shelving built in and the ceiling is 10 ft or more-- there is some empty wall space under the high slider window to left when you walk in--there is a built-in spice rack on wall to right just inside the door...but because of giving access for wheelchair it is bigger than the laundry room I think...

I will have plenty of shelf space to store small appliances like my big blender that I don't use that often and my wok but I am kind of overwhelmed to have so much room...

it is just the two of us--don't have kids at home anymore--so I don't need mega quantities of food...

anyone have web site that has good ideas for organizing something this big...

the kitchen itself has good storage with roll-out drawers and a long island with storage so it is not like the pantry is all there is...this is link to photo of kitchen--the door in the corner is to the pantry...

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen photo

Comments (10)