SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aes123_gw

Tips for growing larger AV?

18 years ago

My mother gave me an "African Violet pot" this weekend, and, being a good son, I'm gonna give it a try. It's one of the pots with a glazed ceramic resevoir and a porous insert. Now, I'm not about to leave my poor plant sitting in a pool of water, but, the pot is also 6" wide...

Until now, I've been following the recommendation to use 4" pots, so I have a few questions.

1. Are there any tips on helping this plant grow into a larger home?

2. After I repotted, I disbudded, under the theory that the plant should spend its energy exploring its new home. Should I continue to disbud for a few months to encourage leaf and root growth?

3. Assume for a moment that I can coax the AV into happily existing in a 6" pot; are there any special steps to keep it happy? Periodic disbud, more/different fertilizer, etc?

Also, for anyone who has used this type of pot, what's a good method for controlling the amount of water that the violet gets? The idea of letting the insert sit in a resevoir full of water makes me shudder, but since the pot itself is so much heavier than the 4" plastic I use elsewhere, I can't tell when the plant is ready for a drink.

Thanks in advance,

Allan

Comments (3)