SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiddyplanter

Growing Fuller, Larger African Violets?

KiddyPlanter
11 years ago

Hi all, I have a noid AV (my first ever AV!=D) that I picked up from the clearance section of Home Depot last summer (it was flowerless and very sad looking...=( and a lucky dip cause I didn't know what blooms it would have!). At first it was looking so pathetic, but this year, it started producing flower stalks like crazy (it has had at least 10), and has been in constant bloom with pretty pink single pansies! (Probably boring flowers to you guys with really fancy blooming plants, but hey, it's my first ever AV and I love it lots!=P) However, the leaf growth has been quite sad really, so I started reading up a bit about growing to show, to get larger plants. I read about disbudding to allow for energy to be invested in foliage growth, so I did that (though it broke my heart a little... And I just had to put the cut flowers in a vase!=P). However, I read something about choosing full plants that don't show soil when choosing plants for show... Does this mean that genetics will prevent my little noid from growing into a full, leafy plant? Are there any special tricks to help my little one grow big and with full foliage?

P.S: I recently repotted it too!=)

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH