SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tessiess

Mail Order Efficiency of Shipping Roses, Could it be Improved?

This year I received roses in the mail from 3 companies, and I noticed quite a difference in how the roses were packed. I thought I would post about my observations and ask others to share their experiences.

One particular company's packing I liked much better than the others. It was that from Antique Rose Emporium. The plants received were 2 large healthy plants each in 2 gallon containers. The box seemed especially well-designed for shipping roses. I opened the outer seal with scissors, but once open, I didn't need anything else to get the roses out. It was quick and easy as there were modular cardboard inserts that simply popped out. Voila! Instant access to the roses. Looked like easy and quick to pack too. That would save on labor costs. Wish all companies would consider having packing for roses with simple, easy to use designs like this. I should have taken pictures but didn't think of it at the time. Ding, ding, ding--user friendly!!!

I ordered 7 bands from another company. All arrived healthy. However, they were in that box SECURELY. Opened the outside of the box with scissors as with ARE, but I needed to use scissors on the inside to access *each* band as well. It was tricky and time-consuming. I wondered how long it must have taken to put on all that packing tape to each band and secure to the box. I had to separate every one from the box without harming the bands. Although there was some newspaper stuffing intended to keep potting soil in the bands, this wasn't entirely successful in keeping all of it with each band--a mess (box opened outside so not that big a deal). Had a bunch of clumps of packing tape strewn about to pick up afterwards too. I wonder how much more time it must have taken to pack this box than the one from ARE.

From the third company I received 3 healthy, 1-year-old bare root plants. Opened the box with scissors as per usual. Inside, each plant's rootball was encased in a plastic bag. The plastic bag was secured around the main stem with tape. This prevented any soil from being lost around the rootball. I needed to use scissors to remove the tape (pulling with fingers was no easy task as I soon discovered). This packing method seemed intermediate between the other two in complexity and was also intermediate in terms of unpacking time. I thought it probably also took more time to pack than ARE's ultra-simple one and less than the super-taped bands.

What kind of boxes/packing have others received from various companies? How do you like them? How easy are they to unpack? Are you left with a big mess to clean up afterwards? Do the roses arrive in good shape?

I am curious if additional companies might adopt (or have adopted) more efficient shipping methods? The rose mail order business doesn't seem to be in the best shape, and possibly packaging/shipping could be done better and save some companies money in terms of time and materials.

Melissa

Comments (7)