SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whynotmi

tree recommendations

whynotmi
16 years ago

Last year my county "improved" my road. Of course this required removing every tree on the block for the convenience of the construction company. Now we're being told the budget for tree replacement had to be cut. Grrrr

So here's my situation:

I have about 14'(house to power lines) x 20' (driveway/water line to lot line/gas line) space. The soil near the road is crummy hardpan fill with tons of rocks. The middle of the yard is decent well draining soil. There are no public sidewalks to deal with so root heave isn't an issue. The area gets full sun. The tree needs to be pretty darn salt tolerant since my town throws enough salt on the roads here to rival the Dead Sea and the plows throw it all into our yards

Since it's likely the canopy will eventually cover my front steps I'd prefer something with medium to largish leaves so I don't have to rake my front room every time someone walks in. Anyone with a Honey Locust near their doorway knows what I'm talking about. ;^)

I'm very open as to canopy shape but need to keep in mind that my house is a fairly small cottage (~900 sq/ft). I am leaning toward deciduous though good evergreen suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comment (1)