SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
photopilot

Pile started out hot then cooled down

15 years ago

My compost pile consists of whatever I could find to get it big enough. I did not know about or do a C/N ratio at the time. When the pile got high enough I added some water then poured on a compost starter. I assume the starter is a nitrogen rich product. Three days later when I turned it the pile was steaming and some rocks in the pile where extremely hot to the touch. About 3 days later it was also very warm when turning. Since then I have not seen the pile get over 120 degrees( I started taking temperature since then), but often around 105 degrees.

Has the composting gotten stuck? Do I need to add a very rich source of Nitrogen? What should I do to get things back going again?

One concern I have is am I adding enough water or too much. Also the pile is very heavy and dense, I added a lot of layers of dirt to the original pile. I am concerned that the center is being deprived of Oxygen. I appreciate any suggestions.

My pile started out as mostly chopped straw, yard wastes and some kitchen scraps with layers of dirt in-between if that helps.

Comments (14)