SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

History of Gardenweb

rosefolly
16 years ago

I've been trying to figure out how long this forum and its sister the Rose Forum have been in existence. I started posting in 1996 or 1997, probably 1996. Hmm, that would make me a ten year veteran at the least. Spike owned it back then. Originally you didn't even have to register or be a member. In those innocent pre-spam days, everyone's email was available for easy response off the forum, too.

Many people have come and gone. Rather like the case with old classmates, I sometimes wonder what happened to some of them. Are they still growing roses? Are they still gardening? Even, are they still alive? Only a few of the established posters from those days are still around. Every so often someone pops up again after a long absence, and I am always so delighted to see them again.

Does anyone remember the long series of posts on rose history called How Do You Pronounce? And former members -- Cuz from North Carolina, Roger Mann from Australia, Pamela from Long Island, Miracid Bob, so many others. I was delighted when Kaylah showed back up.

I wonder if any of these old friends are back under new names, and I just don't realize they are the same person.

Rosefolly

aka Paula sfbay

Comments (164)

• pete41
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Richard from Conn.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

So absolutely great to see Missy here. I believe that was Kim Martin of South Carolina who taught us how to count roses, so that you end up subtracting 2 for every 3-4 you own. Cute, cute.

• Related Discussions

A short history of the greenhouse

Q

Comments (3)
    Very interesting! I didn't know that the greenhouse dated back to Roman times. I'm amazed at the mica sheets used as glazing!
    ...See More

History of Gardenweb Vol II unpulled

Q

Comments (2)
    Huh? It didn't get pulled. It still on the first page. Maybe there was a brief problem because of a post that got deleted? Remy Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenwweb history post #2
    ...See More

History of Gardenweb, cont'd

Q

Comments (15)
    Have so enjoyed this thread; brings back a lot of nice memories from when I first discovered this forum and started lurking back around '96 or '97. Previous to that I had lurked on rec.garden.roses and enjoyed that but this format was so much better and still remains the best IMHO. I did my first post in 2002 I believe after Pat Henry of RU kindly wrote out for me Kathy Zuzek's list of recommended Buck roses. I asked her if I could post it on GW and she was pleased and said please do. So, after stewing about 2 weeks, I took the plunge and posted the list. I still mostly just lurk. Have missed many of the early posters; felt like family. Many changes occurred about a year or so ago on this site causing many to leave and losts of "shouting" back and forth among members. This was my place where I came to relax and as tensions mounted, I found it stressful and left. Glad to see we are back to former times, and calmness and civility are again the rule. The Frenchmand or Belgian whom I have seen referred to in above posts was Christian (sp?). He worked as an air controller. He use to post beautiful pictures in the early days when few were posting pics. I still remember a pic of the control tower where he worked. His picture of Veilchenblau was spectacular and I had to have it after seeing what kind of a show that old rambler could do. He also kindly provided a link where he had recorded all the names of the French named roses, carefully and slowly pronouncing them so we could pronounce them correctly (I still butcher them). Remember Paul on the Lake who taught us all to fall in love with the Tyrosaurus Rex rose commonly called William Baffin, and his annual tales of pruning the monster to keep it from devouring his house. Paul's artistic temperament and training showed in the pictures of his beautifully designed perennial beds. And that lawn! It looked as if every blade of grass was cut by hand and weeds, what weeds! Remember the adventures of our friends Bill and Jack in their California swimming pool and their Mommy who grew beautiful roses. It wasn't a holiday without the adventures of Bill and Jack all suitably "dressed up" for the occasion. I still remember Jean's dear Floyd with his little blue metallic New Year's hat on his head. No one deserved to die his death in this day and age. Cindi and her black swans. Remember the pics of when her kitchen flooded and the swans peeked in and thought they had discovered a new swimming pool. Her circular bed of Knockout backed by tall evergreen trees and surrounded by lawn was one of the most beautiful pictures I had seen and kept it on my desk top. Unfortunately my computer recently crashed and I lost all my pics. Am trying to downsize as I get older and my energy levels decrease. Bax Boyd who use to be very active on the Propagation Forum lives near me and had given a talk on how to propagate roses for our local rose society in 2001. He taught me too well and I have many roses rooted from his large collection as well as those I bought. Nice to hear from so many members again. Wishing you all the best with your "rosing." Jim
    ...See More

NEW: Seeds & Stitches for May - Charm Exchange

Q

Comments (80)
    Time to update the list once again. I may have missed something that was posted so if I did, just let me know and I will correct the list. sandlapper will send to dan_the_mailman and redrosey. Both have received. gmom will send to wynative and micyrey Michelle received from gmom. wynative will send to hazelnutbunny and quiltpartner Melissa received from Marie. beth_b_kodiak will send to lindaruzicka and redrosey Both received from Beth. lindaruzicka will send to dan_the_mailman and quiltpartner Dan received from Linda. micyrey will send to wynative and faintheart Both received from Michelle. dan_the_mailman will send to faintheart and gmom Both received from Dan. hazelnutbunny will send to sandlapper and micyrey Both received from Melissa. redrosey_2008 will send to sandlapper and beth_b_kodiak Both have received quiltpartner will send to lindaruzicka and hazelnutbunny Melissa received from Cindy. faintheart will send to beth_b_kodiak and gmom Beth received from Dee. We finally got just a little rain today - so thankful I don't have to drag the hoses around the evening. Hope to hear that everyone has received soon. Keep me posted. Jeanne
    ...See More
  • meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    16 years ago

Richard was the Caped Crusader, long after PAGAN was the Caped Enabler with a bona fide rose cape seen in pics of some event, lol. That's how I was gonna recognize you at RU, Pagan!

I love Dogs in Elk from Cactus Joe's page... if you've never read it give a shout and we HAVE to post that.

Beetpulp and Squirrels was great, too and made me think of the Flying Furballs.

Counting Roses was such fun, and I still never count minis or duplicates :)

• madame_hardy
    16 years ago

Right, duplicates don't count. I think I have, um..2 roses.

heh heh

• joan_ontheprairie
    16 years ago

This is a sweet thread. Maryc, I followed Bill Hillman here from the old Prodigy forum in...92?...93...maybe Lynette remembers the year, lol. And yes, she is a hero to all of us. I knew zero about roses then or computers for that matter. Bill Hillman WAS a crusty gent but he had a good heart and knew so much.

There was Cindi, the sweetheart and also Cyndi who was so nice and helpful. Rosebud was also so very kind and enabling. I remember the wild Veldfire era and wild Tiny Petals times...was it Sue? Lots of fun.

Missy and Hershigirl and Zeffyrose and so many of you are treasured friends. I know I do not post much any more but I lurk a bit.

It is lovely to see all of you here.

• User
    16 years ago

Lurked on and off for awhile loved roses did'nt feel like a "real rose person" I only got in trouble nce for diong battle with another member on the off topics forum ah well. Nice to see Missy I miss seeing you and Patchouliejulie I haven't seen Lozza in ages who was also a regular poster.

• mariannese
    16 years ago

Pete Flowers, the Belgian expert on HP's, has almost given up gardening because of deer infestation. He is now busy with his pipe organ forums. I consult him occasionally about what Hybrid Perpetual to chose.

I don't remember when I joined this forum after the breakdown of rec.gardens.roses, but I do miss some of the other European members who used to post here, Dutch, Norwegians, Portuguese.

• pagan
    16 years ago

meredith - the Caped Enabler is busy making a new improved cape... and wasn't it sweet of Pat at RU to let us hold the first Rose Addicts Anonymous meeting in her upstairs room??

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my, I am overwhelmed. People are stirring up such wonderful memories for me. I can't believe how much I had forgotten, people and events I would have sworn I never would forget. Now we have them back again. It is such a gift.

I am in Pennsylvania visiting family and friends this week, but I have had a chance to sneak a peak or two at Gardenweb from my father's computer.

Rosefolly

• madame_hardy
    16 years ago

Rosefolly, I always remember a long ago post, where you posted on a thread where we all had done something crazy, like buying too many roses or wildly making plans for too big a garden (no!)...

Whatever it was, you signed it..."Rose folly, indeed" I always laugh when I think of that. :)

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Thank you, mariannese, I always respected and looked for Pete's advice, and he offered me some great advice on my HPs and in those cases where I did as he told me, my HPs are better. I do miss him and I am so sorry that he has had to abandon his roses. I do hope he is enjoying his latest hobby and if you are in touch with him, do ask him to peek in if but for a moment and offer a hello.

Joe, last I heard from Lozza, I think he was going to be in this area and then off to China? Does that sound correct?

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Can we get Jean from Mississippi to post with us if we keep this trip down memory lane. Neary Wild, are you reading here?

• cecilia_md7a
    16 years ago

I've been here since the late nineties, always under the same user name - only now, for some reason, it's all lower-case!

• carol_se_pa_6
    16 years ago

I am usually a lurker but had to say I really enjoy this post. I have been around since about 2000 and this is a trip down memory lane! I also have learned a lot over the years about roses and gardening. I was thinking about Hollysprings a week or two ago. She always advised that making sure your roses were well watered was most important and I found out that she was right. I also have to thank Ann for her advice and patience with my questions over the years.

Thanks for the memories!

• jean
    16 years ago

This is certainly a huge trip down the memory lanes. I think I first stumbled in here after lurking on rgr during the celeste wars sometime around 97. I have made so many wonderful friends over the years here and I look forward to what have become the biannual trips to SC to catch up with familiar faces.

I have kept some of the old threads. I remember the Veldettes and the eventual wars over whether someone was hogging the gallery and the battles over whether we should use cornmeal and so many other silly little things. I was thinking back to the folks I haven't seen in a month of Sundays, many of whom have been mentioned. Some who haven't, Sue in NYC, Helen in FL, Germaine, Donny and Sheree. Lost faces but not forgotten. The mass trip many of us made when Brenda (Merry)was in late stage breast cancer to weed and spruce up her garden in the last weeks of her life. For all its knocks, GW is still a wonderful place.

Every time I look at my roses, they remind me of certain people here. John W, your gallicas survive here despite the odds. Carefree Sunshine will forever make me think of Cindy and Jaune Desprez always reminds me of Patricia who bravely planted it so very close to her home.

I hope to see many of you this fall and for those I haven't met in person, well we should remedy that.

Thanks Paula for a wonderful thread.

Jean

• cactusjoe1
    16 years ago

Ahem! Excuse me .......... but I have not posted here for several years. A combination of not having enough time, pressure (time) at work, wanting more time with the family, and the garden, and finally disenchantment meant that I had not posted at all. But when it comes to reminescencing the "good old days", who could resist.

I started posting in 1996 under a different name. It was the dying few days of the Intel 286 chip (I skipped the Intel 386 and upgraded to a 486 in 1997) and DOS. Lotus 1-2-3 was still the go to spreadsheet app. No graphics. Pages that, now, seemed to take an eternity to load - but didn't matter back then - cable internet and ADSL did not exist. The list of Forums on GW filled less than 1/4 of the monitor. Those were the days when Ironbelly ruled on the Perennials forum. The whole of GW was abuzz with discussions. I was hooked - I was into Perrenials, Tool Shed, Bamboo, Ginger, etc forums. I wasn't even interested in roses - yet. But it wasn't difficult to notice that the most interesting and lively discussions occurred in the rose forums. We had Rosenut, Rosebud, niecey, Riku, Jon from Wessex, Lynnette, to name a few. I see some of you old stalwarts are still at it. But a familiar names keep disappearing each year. Those were the days with the interminable discussions on the miracle of Miracid against blackspot.

Whether you liked or disliked Spike, most of us would agree on the fact that we admired and respected his work, his skills, and his dedication that kept this internet community together, improving it all the time in those early years. I did get a couple of friendly warnings for opinions which, in restrospect, was better dealt with with the delete button. Then came the flash animations that started to drive me insane.........

Ironically, one of the reasons I don't post much any where nowadays is that I am too busy tending to my garden. I limit my internet activities to a few more sedate internet gatherings, with most of my efforts conducted at a local level through our University botanical garden forum.

I miss the the people here. I miss the discussion. It was very much like a local neighbourhood community - some are louder than others, some more meek, some are outright scholarly, still others are controversy,....just like any neighbourhood. And like any neighbourhood, we (or most of us, at least) put up with the different individual quirks, had a grand old time and learnt a lot in the process.

Until my life style slows down and I can afford a more leisurely pace of living, you won't see much of me here. But you can be sure, though, that I will always be lurking from time to time.

• glenna
    16 years ago

What fun reading this thread!

I don't post as much as I used to, but I've been reading/responding for years. Good to see Hershigrl is still growing roses -- we share Coastal So Cal weather.

I've got a whole gardening lexicon thanks to this site: shovel pruning, enabling, and taking a trip to Disneyland, among other useful terms. I was inspired by one of Jon in Wessex's photos to peg my Evelyn into a pyramid shape -- definitely improved the look of the rose this spring, but it's still on double secret probation because of spindly foliage.

I also remember swooning over "lemecdutex"'s garden photos from the central valley.

• denisez10
    16 years ago

[I wasn't even interested in roses - yet. But it wasn't difficult to notice that the most interesting and lively discussions occurred in the rose forums]

Cactus Joe, you're stealing my brain waves. It was a post from Rubrifolia rhapsodizing over June bloom that drew me in. I'd only grown a few Austins up to then but became entranced with the emotional discussions over roses. Nowhere else on the forums do they reach such a poetic pitch. I ignored the How Do You Pronounce thread for weeks, watching it swell up to 100, assuming it was some dry discussion over nomenclature. Well, nothing is what it seems on the ARF and ignore any post at your peril. I even started lurking on the Aussie rose forum to catch more of Roger Mann and enjoy their off-season (for me) photo postings. I finally made a massive order to he-who-shall-not-be-named (and why can't we if Spike no longer runs the forum? TL. There, I said it. (amended to initials to get by spam filter. Wow!) 15 roses, which I think was his special deal. Still have Jaune Desprez. I even made it over to the rec.roses group, staying just long enough to observe how wrong a rose forum can go, appreciating all the more what a treasure the ARF was. Never interacted with Spike at all. Did someone mention Mikki yet? Rosebud with his Knockouts. And when the Organic Rose Forum was finally created out of the blistering battles over pesticides. Montana Deb and genealogy. Wasn't there someone from Germany who tirelessly advocated on behalf of Stanwell Perpetual? I'd already seen Mottisfont and lots of English gardens by '89, staying with friends in the village of Whitchurch near Mottisfont, so was astonished to find the oracular Jon a regular contributor. Such riches. Even though I've stayed on the periphery of rose growing, I still check the ARF, mostly for the photos now. Wonderful to see how some of the gardens have matured.

• debnfla8b
    16 years ago

Cactus Joe...seeing you post just put a big old smile on my face!!!

Deb

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Jean, please spend more time with us. We so enjoy your sharing your knowledge, pictures and great sense of humor with us.

Can you find Jean (Nearly Wild) and bring her to the forum with you?

Cactus Joe, I still have your story of the dog saved to my files. Each time I read it, I get a laugh. You know I grow two Parades just because of your pictures.

• albertine
    16 years ago

I started posting around 97-98, can't remember under what moniker , I believe I was just my name Julie Wawirka. Had a question about Musk roses and found the forum on a search. Got into the L controversy mouth (or is it typing fingers - all two of them) first - I kind of thought that Spike was a fascist and incredibly rude to boot, so found myself in Disney and then found recgardensroses which ironically was in a way all about the freedom to be rude, and another forum that was great but I lost the address. We got a new computer and I snuck back on under this name. In spite of the ups and downs and us being pawns of the commercial aspect of this forum, it's wonderful to be able to be part this group who love these roses when the rest of the world just stares at me with a glazed expression when I'm expounding endlessly about the perfection of a particular curve of a petal. (On the other hand, maybe it's just my style of delivery?) I've learned so much.

• tussy_mussy
    16 years ago

I haven't posted for quite a long time although I do check in periodically. I was drawn in when I first saw pictures of roses posted by a Frenchman. His photos were breathtakingly gorgeous, but I can't remember his name.

Glenna, I remember chatting with you about a rose that we both owned, Victorian Spice. Your pictures were beautiful, but I finally gave up on mine and shovel pruned it.

It's good to read all of your posts.

MJ

• centifolia
    16 years ago

I've been lurking for about 10 years and, Lord, do I miss Roger Mann! We have alot of passionate posters but he had such an unbridled passion for the rose. And I believed every word he said. Jon, are any of his current writings readily available?

• nearlywild
    16 years ago

What a great thread and what a walk down memory lane. Carla, thanks for the private email telling me to read this thread. I do have many great memories associated with the Antique Forum and the wonderful people. I wouldn't have a garden filled with roses without all the help and advice from all of you.

For new members who don't remember me, a bed of Nearly Wild roses was my first attempt to grow roses, hence my name. The summer I visited Jean (TN), I think Ann was shocked that I didn't have orange hair or wear fishnet stockings because of my name. Should I change my name? Probably so, but decided not to because it is so difficult to identify members with new names.

No, Spike never kicked me off; I only got one warning and it must have been minor because I can't even remember why. So many forum members have helped me that I dare not mention names for fear of leaving someone out, but I do remember all of you and am most grateful for all your help.

I was a discouraged gardener for some months, but this spring renewed my gardening spirit. I do miss the forum, so maybe I'll find time to stop by frequently and visit with all of you again.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

It's good to see so many here again. Paula, what a great thing you started!

I miss Diana from coir fame, the sweet Diana who roots the best roses with coir and Maria who lives in Wilmington. I hope they will grace us with their presence soon.

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

So glad to see Knash (Kristi) and Cactus Joe again!! I do miss the gallery images by Kim in SC and Rosebud so much. This is a great thread!!

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    16 years ago

I turn to this each day, and enjoy reading what so many of you remember. This thread has 9 more to go before it reaches its 150 limit. I hope it is continued if there are more to identify themselves.

Does anyone know what happened to Spike? Does anyone know a story behind a guy named Dave who was unhappy here? I don't even know if we are allowed to talk about him. Did he leave because of Spike?

I had a couple of warnings because I started threads that caused others to get into trouble. Even though I did not do anything wrong, as other posters gave their opinions, they took it down an illegal path. My warnings, though were quite friendly in tone.

I would like for Susan Tivoli and Debra in California to check in.

Sammy

• janet_la
    16 years ago

I'm still here, although I'm in "lurk" mode more than in "post" mode these days. This has been a fun post - lots of good memories and good friends here. I've been here since March of 2002 and I got a couple of warnings, but was never "Disneyed". This has been a great place to learn, laugh, and make new friends. Even though I haven't posted much recently, I still check in most days. I'm glad to see so many of the "old" familiar faces still here :)

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

JUst back for another peek and check up on some more old friends.
    This is a great post.
    Florence

• debnfla8b
    16 years ago

Hi Janet!!!! I've missed you!!!

It has been fun to read about old friends. Lots of time has passed since I first came here. But I will always love GW rose forums, this place was my refuge when my Daddy was dying and when I quit smoking.....you all saved my butt many times from just becoming so depressed!!!

This has been such a fun post to read!!!

Deb

• jxa44
    16 years ago

I joined in 2002 but lurked long before then. And I remember that thread Paula! I loved the gardenweb back then, and often wonder what happened to many of those posters.

My favorite posters were jon from wessex, roger, roseman, cheryl netter and centifolia. Not to mention the numerous hybridizers and magazine and book editors that used to post here. It was a really, really fun time back then.

jxa44 -- who used to known as "someone"

• suebelle_neworleans
    16 years ago

WOW !! Following this thread has been more than fun. I remember all of these posters from years gone by. Wonderful memories of so many of you - Jon, Digger Dave, Rosesense, Roselover, Rosebud, Missy, Linda, Kim, Mary, and so many more. I still read these forums almost every day, just haven't been spending much time taking pictures. My antique linen and lace business is keeping me busy these days and I guess that is a good thing.
    If I can remember how to put a picture in here----I will add some of my old favorites from my collection.

Suebelle from New Orleans

{{gwi:283618}}

{{gwi:283619}}

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    16 years ago

I remember you, Suebelle! So nice to see you.

We were searching the databases for you after Katrina :( I didn't know you or Lisa from Countryside roses, but we watched the news and tried our best to find some news of y'all.

I found a database that had different info than the ones the news linked to and I was thrilled to post that Lisa was listed as ALIVE.

The forums here were also great to me while/after my mom was dying.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Janet, good to see you here. I had wondered about you during Katrina, and Suebelle, how are you? How is your garden? I remember that beautiful arbor you had and a fence maybe with Blaze on it that was all red roses blooming and then another trellis, your little internet boutique store of antique linens, etc., and your beautiful roses. How is your garden? Did it drown?

• suebelle_neworleans
    16 years ago

Meredith and Patricia,
    Thanks for remembering me. I joined the Rose Forums in 2001, and I know I haven't posted since Katrina.
    I wouldn't say that our Garden drowned, but it was heavily flooded. However, I am happy to say that this spring we replaced most all of the bushes and they are doing well. Most all of the new bushes are David Austin roses.
    Even though we had some water in our home, it was not destroyed like so many others, but Katrina sure has changed all of our lives in so many ways.
    I have really enjoyed reading all of these posts and recalling a happier time.
    I forgot to mention Cindi and Patrick(molineux) in my last post. Such fun people and great story tellers.

• debnfla8b
    16 years ago

Suebelle!!!

I remember you....I loved your rose pictures. I'm so glad to know you are doing well. You were very much missed on the forum! I do remember how you loved the Austin roses...and your pictures of them were gorgeous.

Deb

• Rosefolly
    8 years ago

Bringing this back up once again for the people who have joined us since 2007.

• PRO
    Susan Serra
    8 years ago

Well hello! It's me, Susan/Tivoli Rose :) I think things really changed once facebook took hold and other social media channels. Things seemed to sort of fade, or maybe it was me! I have gained so much information from all of you back when I joined around 2003. You all taught me so very much. I'm still addicted to roses. I am now 2 houses removed from the house I started with on GW but we have started a whole new garden with Austins and antiques. Lovely to see so many familiar rose buddies!

• zeffyrose
    8 years ago

Checking back in----it is now2015---where did the years go----I still love my roses but this past year I lost many old favorites to Rose Rosette Disease-----My gardening is limited but I'm growing some beautiful weeds !!!---My DH and I were just looking at some old pictures---they are lovely .Nice to see some old friends

• lori_elf z6b MD
    8 years ago

I think I joined in 1996 or 1997 or thereabouts. Have made many friends on the forum, some only digitally but a few I've visited in person. Rose growers are wonderful -- aren't we all a bit eccentric and effusively enthusiastic about our gardens? Nice to see some of the old-timers are still hanging out here.

• gnabonnand
    8 years ago

Good to see so many long-timers posting on this thread. Like Florence, my roses were devastated within the last year from RRD. They have almost all died now, so I don't plant roses in the ground anymore. Just keep one in a pot on the back patio. Kind of like an annual plant, just to scent the patio along with herbs. It was fun while it lasted though. Many enjoyable years of growing roses and I am thankful for that time.

• zeffyrose
    8 years ago

gnabonnand---I am so sorry to hear about your roses----I know how devastating it can be-----Thankfully so far all my Zephirine Drouhan roses are good------Lavender Lassie ---Super Dorothy all climbers are still OK along with a few others---at least enough to have a few bouquets in the house----one of these days I will make a list of the survivors-------so nice to hear from you----

Florence

• carol_se_pa_6
    8 years ago

Wow! This really is a trip down memory lane! Zeffy/Florence - I think of you often. Just the other day I was remembering when you stopped by our place on LBI and we were talking roses. My roses in NJ are doing pretty well. I didn't lose one from Hurricane Sandy. I seem to lose a few a year in PA from RRD. So good to hear from so many names from the past; people who have taught me so much about roses and gardening. Is Harryshoe still around? Please keep posting!

• pat m
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

i remember the lady lawyer from Atlanta, I think it was. Also the carpenter from Calif who grew Barbara Streisand. And of course Cindy and Rosebud and his wife "angel face'. There was also a guy and his wife from Montana who were on a lot. And there was Spider Mite from Cleveland. And Carl Baptist who I hear passed away. Garden web was a lot busier then! I remember there was a big fight over something once, and Spike put a stop to that fast.

• Rosefolly
    8 years ago

We've lost members over the years, to my sorrow. We've honored them elsewhere, and I hope this is a thread of happy memories, not a sad one.

Many new members have joined us since then despite the fact that old roses are not currently as fashionable as once they were. Native plants, vegetables, and succulents are currently getting the majority of people's garden attention just now, and indeed some of my own. If old roses are to be available the next time the pendulum swings this way it will be through the efforts of those of us who already love them. I look forward to seeing the excitement rekindle in my lifetime as it did when? - the 80's? the 90's? Francis Lester and his nursery Roses of Yesterday kept many old varieties going through the mid-20th century. His work was carried on by a few serious collectors (Vintage being one) and also by the rose rustlers who gathered and preserved after him. Most of the neglected corners where heirloom roses survived in the last period of neglect have received the unkind attention of bulldozers, developers, and RoundUp. It is left to us to keep our favorite roses going in our gardens. The few fine public gardens that preserve old roses cannot do this all on their own.

Okay, off my soap box now.

Rosefolly

• zeffyrose
    8 years ago

I love your soapbox !!!-----I remember when I first ordered from Roses of Yesterday ---I loved the catalogs- It was one of the first places I found to order the old roses---My garden is not what it used to be and I haven't learned how to use our new camera and I seem to have trouble posting pictures but------I still love to come here and lurk---Please everyone --keep up the good work------Florence

• jerijen
    8 years ago

Grow something rare and unidentified!

Even if you grow just ONE, your garden could be the place that rarity survives until a time when there is again a demand. (If you can grow more than one, that's even better.)

• altorama Ray
    8 years ago

I don't remember when I joined... But this forum really got me hooked on roses, eventually trying to collect rare Climbers and Ramblers. Then money issues put a stop to that but I'm grateful for what I do have.

Just counted and I have 49 books about roses, but I have learned the most from this forum.

I often wonder about NEroseman who I met at Elizabeth Park. He was a great help to me.

I remember quite a few of you.