SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kes4753

RRD on Prairie Sunrise?

Kes Z 7a E Tn
9 years ago

I love apricot roses and Prairie Sunrise has been one of my favorites. A couple of weeks ago I noticed several new growths growing up from the base of the shrub that were dark red and appeared to be rubbery and a little odd looking. They didn't have a witches' broom form, but there were two of them growing close together. They didn't seem to be exceptionally thorny, either, maybe a bit more than the mother plant, but maybe not. My heart sank, thinking it was RRD. I cut off the growths, placed them in a plastic bag and planned on removing the rose as soon as I could. I hit the bush, especially the area where I cut off the growths, with peroxide, hoping that it might keep the virus from spreading more till I got a chance to remove it. I have a lot going on right now so I forgot about it and didn't get back to it till a couple days ago. The little bush appears to have a lot of healthy new growth. There is no new sign of the virus. Is this normal? Was I wrong about RRD? I plan on removing the rose anyway and maybe putting it in a pot by itself to observe it. It isn't in a good spot anyway.

Comments (4)