SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dragonjaze

Urban/suburban sources of compost?

dragonjaze
12 years ago

I've started a compost pile this summer, but it's small, and will not be ready for a while yet. Even if it were ready, it's not enough for the size of my garden.

I've contacted local city and county governments, and they do not offer compost to residents.

The only compost offered in the local home centers are the bags of either "mushroom compost" or "steer manure", neither of which I'm impressed with, plus being rather expensive.

I don't have the budget to order bulk from a nursery or landscaping supply, not to mention have the muscle to move it all off my driveway in a day so we can park.

I need a source that I can take a few small rubbermaid-type storage totes to once a week or so and fill up, so I can fit them in my tiny compact car.

Craigslist is giving me no leads. There were ads for "composted horse manure" in the spring, but they all wanted to load up pickups, not have a crazy lady with a shovel come take a bucket or two every week.

Where can I look? My garden was brand-new this spring, made in raised beds from poor quality soil, and I need to get a whole lot of compost in it this fall.

If you had a tiny car, no budget, and needed compost quick, where would you look?

Comments (8)