SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Backpedaling?

runktrun
13 years ago

I realize this has been an on going conversation for at least the last five plus years but now that it is affecting my personal garden I am feeling invested in the conversation and I am hoping you will allow me to rant.

Disclaimer - I am as huge fan of Adrian Bloom, I consider many introductions from Blooms of Bressingham to be the classic introductions of our day Âfrankly have you ever heard a discouraging word about Geranium ÂRozanne ? A couple of years ago when the New England Horticultural Society was on its last limping legs, after it was clear that the society was bankrupt with little hope, it was Adrian Bloom who invested a good chunk of himself into their new perennial beds including a very cool river of G. ÂRozanne . So I want to be perfectly clear and say I believe Adrian Bloom and Blooms of Bressingham have contributed greatly to the world of horticulture.

BUT After many years of creating mediocre gardens I finally gave up trying to grow plants suited to rich neutral soil rather than my highly acidic nutrient poor sandy soil. At the top of this short list of plants is Eryngium (air-ING-ee-um) or Sea Holly so you might imagine how thrilled I was this spring when I came across Eryngium ÂBig Blue a Blooms of Bressingham introduction.

When I read the spread for this plant is 26" and I had envisioned a drift of 10 x4 the financial reality of my dream began to dim but dim only to the extent that I now expected to invest more time and effort propagating Eryngium ÂBig Blue . At this point it should be noted that I had purchased twelve E. ÂBig Blue in Blooms of Bressingham pots at top dollar.

At this point I intended to do a little homework and learn all about E. ÂBig BlueÂs family so I began by actually reading the plant tag that frankly told me little to nothing. Keep in mind that there are over 200 species of Eryngium originating from all over the planet growing under a wide variety of conditions, some of which are biannual/short lived perennials and others perennials. I began by diving into Adrian BoomÂs book "Summer Garden Glory" that made no mention of a soon to be introduced E. ÂBig Blue then headed of to the Blooms of Bressingham web site that reiterated the information printed on the plant tag but in all fairness included the comment that when propagating E. ÂBig Blue be careful with itÂs delicate roots!!!! Â. thanks for nothing.

So what do you think? Do you believe the horticultural culture today is backpedaling and slowing down possible advances from the home gardener with the current trademark policy? Katy

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths