SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Could lightning have damaged this oak?

marilyn_c
16 years ago

We live in a very rural area and have several very large, old live oaks on our place. This one is in my yard.

This evening, I noticed this big gash on it, about 4' up to where the bottom of the gash starts. The gash definitely wasn't there last evening, because the old kitchen collander that sits in the tree, we fill with cat food every night for some baby raccoons, and I would have noticed it. There is a concrete block on the ground that I have to stand on to fill the collander.

We had a storm go through here today, but I wasn't home at the time. I know we got a lot of lightning and about 4" of rain.

I am puzzled what could have put a gash in the tree. The tree is very healthy. The branches grow down to the ground, all around it. No other damage to anything...just this big gash, but there is no sign of fire or burn, if it was lightning. Would lightning always cause a burn...and

would lightning strike that low to the ground?

The bark came off in big pieces, shreds...but there are no claw marks on the layer where the bark is missing.

No livestock near the tree. Deer on the place, but never in the yard and it is too far up to be deer...plus, the bark is very heavy and thick.

It's a mystery to me. The only thing I can think of is lightning but no burn...so I don't know.

I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you very much for your help.

{{gwi:366594}}

Comments (7)