SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandy808

Are White Roses Always Going To Look Dirty?

sandy808
16 years ago

Most of my white roses don't look good for very long - even from a distance. Some of the worst so far have been Trinity, Spice, and of coarse, Clotilde Soupert's spent blooms. The only white I have so far that looks good has been an own root Ducher. She shed her petals cleanly, and they never go through any of the brown stage. Maitland White eventually gets to the brown stage and needs deadheading, but isn't too bad.

Trinity and Spice cycle so quickly and profusely that it would be a constant chore to try and deadhead very often.

Trinity is in a prime focal spot but has such a touching history that I hate to remove it. This is a bush that is from cuttings from a bush on a little girls' grave at the Trinity church in Bermuda. Still, I'm not thrilled with all the browning.

All of these bushes are extremely healthy with absolutely no need for spray here.

Maybe it's a thrips issue? I really have quite the thrips problem and should spray Orthene once and for all, but I finally saw a bee today on one of my bushes so I hate to. This is the first pollinating bee I have seen this year.

I used to like white roses....I hate crispy brown. Crepuscule does the same thing for me.

Is there a "cure"?

Sandy

Comments (7)