SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_drew_gw

How I Make A Toilet Paper Roll Pot

nancy_drew
15 years ago

Several people have asked me how I do this. I finally figured out how to #1, get hubby to take pics and #2, I learned how to post these pics. Here goes....

First, I flatten out the roll...

{{gwi:352165}}

Then, I bring those first folds together and make it somewhat square...

{{gwi:352167}}

Then I flatten it again, and clip the center creases about an inch or less, then repeat, clipping the other set of creases. This makes four flaps, like a box would have.

{{gwi:352170}}

Then, I fold in the flaps, the same way you would close a box if you didn't want to use tape. Fold in each flap and tuck in the last one.

{{gwi:352173}}

In order to use these, they should be completely planted in soil. Kitty litter boxes are great, lasagna pans are just a bit shallow so you'll need to cut off about a half inch. It was too much work... plus the kitty litter boxes, with holes drilled into them are better for saving for year to year.

In order to get the tp rolls planted, I put them in the container empty and in rows. I hold them together, one side at a time, and fill the sides of the container first to hold the rows in place. I pack the soil mix in the rolls and the sides as much as I can, covering the rolls as best I can. This helps hold moisture in.

When everything is full of soil mix, I check drainage by "over-watering" using the sprayer on my kitchen sink. I let that drain for a while. Then I use a butter knife to slide my lables in between the tp rolls. I sew as few seeds as I can in each roll. I try for 2 or 3. When it's time to plant out, I use a bulb planting tool to pop out a plug of garden soil and drop in the whole roll.

{{gwi:352122}}

Comments (10)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals