SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farmboy1_gw

Burr Oak Transplanting

farmboy1
12 years ago

I'm new on these forums, but not to yard work; I've long wanted to find a good plant-oriented forum, and this seems like it.

I've seen a few similar posts that were informative, but wanted to post my situation to see if there's anything else I should do.

Last week I was given an opportunity to dig up a 12' tall Burr Oak, caliper is a little less than 2". Age unknown. It was either I try to dig it up, or it was being cut down on the weekend.

The tree was in a front yard, under a few taller, older maples. It was curved from trying to reach more sunshine towards the street. Because it was in such a sheltered location, it's leaves were large and green.

I was able to get a few feet of finger sized roots, but had to cut the thick tap root a few inches below the root ball. Aside from those, there weren't that many roots.

I had the tree transplanted into a wet hole less than two hours after being dug out. It's in a great location, with plenty of sunshine and great soil.

Now comes the toughest part, keeping it alive and helping it recover from the shock. Aside from watering every day, are there any other suggestions?

Thanks,

vince

Comments (16)