SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoe_hoe_hoe

Tulip Poplars: Mythic associations, Legends?

hoe_hoe_hoe
16 years ago

Does anyone know of any? I cant seem to find anything on line. I find this strange for such a magestic tree.

Comments (4)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Maybe wild plant guidebooks and others that delve into ethnobotany. Indians living among them might have developed some ideas about the towering trees with the funny leaves.

Other than that,

"It stands for "fame" in the Language of Flowers and its flowers mean "rural happiness."

--A.L. Jacobson, TREES OF SEATTLE - SECOND EDITION

• lkz5ia
    16 years ago

According to John Tan Miller's book 'A Good Time', there was reference to the 18th century wilderness writings of Jacque DeMiller. One writing described of rain falling from a tulip poplar on a cloudless day, after the chief of the cherokee tribe drowned in a river.

• spruceman
    16 years ago

Perhaps a reason for this is that this continent has not been inhabited for so long as Europe. The native Americans arrvied here only ca 11,000 years ago, and whatever oral traditions these peoples had may not have been all preserved. I suspect only a small portion were.

--Spruce

• diane_9
    16 years ago

Quoting from the book "Tree & Shrub Gardening for Michigan" by Tim Wood and Alison Beck: " The genus name Liriodendron comes from the Greek and means "lily tree".

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022