SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendraschmidt_gw

Question about sifting out rocks/pebbles from sandy soil

KendraSchmidt
11 years ago

Hi Everyone! Quick question about rocky, sandy garden soil I have.

I would like to prepare my soil for planting at SOME POINT in the future. I have very, very rocky, sandy soil. I've purchased cow manure and I have a worm bin and I'm hoping to use both to amend the soil.

I'm sifting the soil through a wire mesh to remove the rocks and the many many pebbles it contains. I don't want to use raised beds. I want to be able to plant directly into the soil.

The soil is very dry and spills immediately through my fingers when I pick up a handful. I want to keep sifting the soil, but I would like to know how far down do I dig to sift? I'm 7 inches down right now. Is that far enough down to dig and sift, before adding the cow manure and (eventually) the worm castings I get from the bin?

I plan to plant veggies and fruits in that same soil. I do not want raised beds and I DO NOT have access to any compost at the moment, store bought or otherwise.

Please help. Do I have to dig down further than seven inches to sift the soil? Or is seven inches depth far enough to worry about sifting. Please help.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH