SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Small tree suggestions needed

ademink
12 years ago

Just had a huge boxelder chopped today and my woodland garden is frying. I want to plant a tree that will get approx 15'ishx15'ish.

The type of shape I like is a more flat-branching, open canopy (ie redbud, dogwood) but w/o the seed nightmare of native redbuds.......and dogwoods grow super slowly in my experience.

Anyway, just processing...lol

Things that matter to me:

*NOT heavy seeder

*Have to be able to plant near it...not directly under it...but I don't want it to suck the life out of everything within 10 feet of it.

*Tree structure and Winter/multiseason interest...neat bark, good winter form, etc. Perfect tree to me is cornus mas...it has it all EXCEPT...you cant plant under it. :)

*Open canopy...shady but not super dense

Here are just a few initial thoughts I've been mulling:

*Cercis canadensis 'Hearts of Gold' (I've read these are so seedy...true or lie?)

*Some sort of dogwood...I would need to be impressed...I've not had luck w/ any floridas

*I saw a small maple while walking tonight...I think it was a maple...small w/ SHAGGY bark, it was awesome. Possibly amur or some variety? Leaves looked different...will get pic tomorrow.

*Catalpa bignonioides Aurea looks really pretty but different sizes listed from 15x15 to 30x40?? Anyone have personal experience w/ this one?

Open to new suggestions completely.

Will be in full sun for most of the day, good draining soil, neutral Ph so no acid-lovers please. :)

Will be planning to purchase a fairly mature/large specimen.

Thanks!

Comments (32)