SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stone_garden

Will cutting 'candelabra' long canes cause dieback?

stone_garden
15 years ago

This is similar to a post below, about whether to, and how to trim back those thick, topped with flowers, candelabra canes.

Plus a few others I have that are ranging from 6 feet (Mirandy) to a ludicrous very old Queen Elizabeth (on ONE cane that begins to branch at 6 feet, and then has about 6 straight canes reaching 12-15 feet straight up topped with flowers).

The Queen Elizabeth was left behind by the previous homeowner, I've never had the nerve to cut the one main cane. It's in a horrible spot near the house, kind of dumb looking like a big stick surrounded by azaela bushes. Unbelievable that this thing grows at all, and flowers, too.

I also have a Funny Face Easy Elegance rose that threw a 5-foot straight cane topped with flowers, and Morden Blush did the same. These are fresh new canes that I am afraid will canker or die back if trimmed - opinions and experiences? It's going to hit the humid 90s where I live starting this weekend, and stay that way at least a week.

Should I wait until fall to trim by a third, or at least until a break in the weather? We have a long growing season, usually. Doesn't get real cold until December or maybe November.

Comments (4)