SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairieway_gw

Cottonwoods not looking so hot

prairieway
10 years ago

I'll try to keep this brief, but I have loads to cover!

Cottonwoods - don't know a TON about them, but know enough to summarize that they are a great fit where I live. Cold, windy, no shade/trees, less than great sandy soil, short number of frost free days, etc. I need trees that border on invasive to survive out here, if that makes sense. Messy trees mean much needed compost. Tall leafy trees mean shade and wind block. Etc.

Just bought a house on 11 acres and there are around 40 live cottonwoods and half as many dead. I'd like to keep the live ones alive if I can.

Issue one - many of them have a lot of dead branches/trunks. Can I just hack the dead wood off? Will that help the live growth continue to grow? What if the central trunk is dead, but some lower branches are leafed out -- do I cut to the highest point on the trunk I see new growth on branches?

Issue two - they all have what looks like burned tips to the leaves. They are wilted and dark brown. The leaves look dry, wilted even. Especially on the young shoots. Is this a disease or just just lack of water? Note-none of the trees have been watered in about 3 years with the exception of our very minimal rain far in the Northwestern desert.

Thanks for any and all feedback and help!

Comments (10)