SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Easy Solution to Deep Watering - May be helpful

aliska12000
14 years ago

I'm trying not to be an attention hog by starting a bunch of threads, but I go quiet at times, and things are moving fast now, thought I'd share.

Some of you have sophisticated watering systems and wouldn't be interested. Soaker hoses are great for some areas but unwieldy or impractical for others plus you have to leave them on for a long time in the summer heat to soak down far enough thereby watering your weeds as well, if you have weeds from not mulching because you want some areas to self seed. Even if you do mulch, they can be useful.

I cut a round circle out of the top of 2-liter pepsi bottles with a hot blade (a pain) so I can fill them easily from the top (w/whatever is easiest and convenient) and leave them in the ground. Otherwise you would have to pull it out of the ground, unscrew the irrigation spike each time, and fill. You can also dispense liquid fertilizers with them.

The first ones were hard to push down in dry ground, so I took a hammer and very large screwdriver and pounded it down, then rotated the screwdriver in cone fashion, and they slipped right in. We've a lot of rain this week, but I needed them earlier and will later on.

They will get clogged at times, need unclogging, have two holes down on the side and a slow drip in the tip, so I will try to solve that problem by putting a piece of screen over them when I can get to it.

They are a little unsightly but in some places the foliage hides them anyway, and this is making things so much easier for me and dragging the hose around as frequently (some plants can go a lot longer w/o watering).

I'm not hawking Harriet Carter, but will provide a link to where I got mine, am sure you can find them other places.

{{gwi:281907}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Irrigation Spikes - Harriet Carter

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!