SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

Gallicas in the rough; salvage continues...

sunnysideuphill
16 years ago

Hello all,

Two gallica questions:

First:

I saw a slash of deep fuchsia spots in the aggressive fern/anemone sylvestris edge of the yard - a single cane, easily 5' long, arched, bare of foliage or branching for first 2', then covered with blossoms. I think it is Alika, planted about 7 years ago, abandoned five.

Should I cut it down low, even though there is nothing but cane there? Should I peg the end, making a funky narrow high arch? How to get more cane breaks? It is right on the edge of the flat space I mow, so I am willing to yank out the fern/anemone mix, lay down newspaper and mulch in order to give it a chance in little "bumpout" along the edge.

Second:

Buried in the wild blackberry/fern/creeping thyme gone wild mess that is my late husband's last project - a raised, stone faced garden against the woods - Tuscany Superb is going strong - original has sent out several colonies. Should I dig out the newbies, or should I encourage them to form a Tuscany mound? I plan to clean the blackberry and fern out of here and get it down to the original bones - some roses and daylilies along the front,then a winding path of thyme surrounding flat stones - the stones have long since sunken out of sight since we didn't do any subsurface prep; hostas and iris in the back, a spirea by his bench (still under there somewhere...) After his 02 death I added a white bleeding heart in the front on his 03 May birthday, and three viburnum bushes at the end, to tie the cultivated stuff to the woods. That's worked out.

But I would like to salvage the gallicas. There are two other roses in there, I think one might be Double Delight, he liked that one, one of my only HT's, but I can't imagine it has survived with no attention. The other is something from Suzy Verrier, but I would have to go back through order paperwork to figure out what...both have buds, no blossoms yet so can't be sure.

Thanks for your help!

Comment (1)