SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Amidst the Doom and Gloom.....

.....I wanted to give honorable mention to those roses that are doing reasonably well, always keeping in mind that they're mulched, and watered at least every second day. I'll post an update sometime in August or September, which will be the acid test, but with little winter rain and ferocious sun these roses deserve to be mentioned now, considering that many of their compadres have wimped out.

Spice - growing and blooming well, although the soft blooms fry very quickly in the sun.

Souvenir de President Carnot - without a doubt the most beautiful rose in my garden, both up close and viewed from inside. Blooms and buds right now, although I see no new growth as yet.

Romaggi Plot Bourbon - many more roses than last year, nice foliage, although these blooms are also thin-petalled, but do last longer than Spice.

Rosette Delizy - the champion among my tea roses, completely healthy, always with some blooms and buds, the best rose along Tea Row.

Baptiste Lafaye - both of my plants are doing well, the one in a better location much larger, with more buds and some blooms in its second year than the other, which has morning shade.

Souvenir de la Malmaison - much mildew earlier but now recovering with plentiful buds and blooms. One of the best summer survivors in my garden.

Sophy's Rose - both are doing very well, especially for younger plants, with no disease and constant although not prolific bloom. Individual flowers are flat and large, so not too many are needed for a satisfactory appearance.

Marie Pavie - not a rose that I adore, but pretty and covered with buds and healthy foliage right now.

Aunt Margy's Rose - very healthy, with few blooms now but many buds forming. Enchanting with its small, fragrant flowers and small leaves, with a bit of wild rose feel.

Bishop's Castle - beginning its second flush on a healthy bush, very fragrant, in a hot location

Burbank - a healthy China with many buds and some blooms. I hope the pink blooms will be more shapely and long-lasting as the plant matures.

Cl. Lady Hillingdon - had to be transplanted at the wrong time of the year because it was frying against the wall even though it received mainly morning sun. I pruned it somewhat and took off all the leaves. In its new location on Tea Row it's now showing tiny leaf buds all over. It has a shade cloth to protect it from afternoon sun.

Souvenir de Germain de St. Pierre - a little mildewed in its sheltered position and has very floppy cerise blooms and awkward growth habit, but has lots of buds and some blooms. A rose that I'm trying to love.

Carefree Wonder - recently transplanted into the ground from a 5-gallon pot, it instantly put out new growth and buds. Can't wait for the open flowers!

Bonica - since I asked about this rose here it's been in the ground for some weeks and now has much new growth and a few buds on a dark green, healthy bush. It's in a good location with afternoon shade.

Mme. de Sombreuil - planted in Tea Row as a tiny band it's put out new growth and buds (the latter of which I'm pinching). I'll probably shade it as it gets hotter but so far it doesn't look at all stressed.

White Pet - recently planted in the ground from a band, it looks very healthy and yesterday I had to pinch off at least ten buds!

Pink Bouquet or Sweet Nothings - this was the only rose that was already here, in a bad location. It was replanted and is a stalwart performer throughout the year; I'm just not sure of its name, but it's a mini as far as I can tell.

Ingrid

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County