SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laneyn_gw

Newbie with a few questions

17 years ago

Hi guys,

I have been lurking here for the past week and now I have a few questions. I have tried to grow AV's in the past with no luck. Last week was my anniversary and hubby took me out of town to eat there was a K-Mart across the street from the restaurant and we don't have one in our town so we stopped off to have a look around. As soon as I went in the door I saw the AV display, my 1st thought was to just walk on by but something caught my eye...the most beautiful Optimara AV I have ever seen in a discount store. Now this beauty was not one of those measly little things they put in a pot too large it measured 13 inches across and had beautiful blooms white with little spots of a sort of fuschia on the petals which looked like they had been sprinkled with diamond dust. Well, how could I pass this up? Needless to say I have an addition to the family which sent me on a search that led me here. After lurking I have been bitten by the AV bug, in a weeks time I have 8 new additions to the family not to mention sucker babies and leaf starts. Now for my questions...I have searched for a good plant food with not much luck at all, we live in a small town so yesterday when we got to the my hometown about 35 miles away I stopped at Home depot and Lowes hoping I would have better luck...not so. Everything I have come across specifically for violets contains urea...miracle grow, shultz, I looked for peters??? but they didn't have it so I ended up getting Better~Gro Orchid Plus 20-14-13 NO UREA plus essential minor elements including trace amounts of magnesium, boron, copper,iron, manganese, molybdenum and zinc. I am hoping someone can tell me if this is a good plant food. Next question is this...I have read a lot on this forum about letting your water sit overnight to allow the chlorine to dissipate but I have also read from "experts" that if it is fit for human consumption it is fine for your plants. My question is if chlorine in such small amounts if harmful to your plants then why isn't it harmful to do the chlorine diluted with water (1 part to 15 I think) treatment to your plants that I have read about on this forum...just curious. Last question. Should I do a precautionary debugging even though I haven't seen any problems so far? I read on rachels site about putting your plants in a covered tote with raid saturated paper toweling overnight. I really don't want critters, would you recommend this treatment as a precaution or only if a problem arises? Sorry so long, I really want these plants to not only live but thrive...can you tell? Oh BTW y'all seem like a great group of people.

Thanks,

LN

Comments (5)