SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adamark

If you worry where to plant - make a lasagna bed ( a lot of pics)

adamark
13 years ago

Soon, once the green tsunami will come (and it will) we'll be worry what to do with all those plants. I had this dilemma last spring. Not so mutch about flowers but tomatoes. I grew a lot under the lights (sorry, didn't know about WSing yet). So, when they all started to come, I was wondering where I'll plant them. It was already Spring, I think late March, April. I had about 1.5 - 2 months to make a lasagna bed. Here is the story....

{{gwi:351039}}

I know, the brick was was not stable. It was just temporary and it did survive the season

{{gwi:351040}}

{{gwi:351042}}

I started puting whatever I could gather. Old leaves, paetmost, old strow, kitchen scrups, compost, some soil, etc...

{{gwi:351043}}

{{gwi:351044}}

{{gwi:351045}}

{{gwi:351046}}

These are my tomatoes from under the lights. This year I'm WSing for an obvious reason...

{{gwi:351047}}

I planted them using the "trench method"

{{gwi:351048}}

Basil and marigold were under those cups (they were WS'ed in those cups). I covered seedlings because I mulched the bed and wanted to protect them

{{gwi:351049}}

{{gwi:351050}}

Tomatoes were great and those cucks in the corner! At the end, some of those tomatoes were almost 6-8 feet tall!

Lesson - the bed was to wide. This year, I'll make no more then 3 feet wide. Otherwise, despite my DH reservations (not that he participated in building it) it really worked!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!