SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryrecord

Community Garden, Sandy Soil and Grass Clippings

maryrecord
12 years ago

I am helping out at a community garden. The soil is sandy and compacted. For some reason I thought that sandy soil was loose and well drained but foolie on me. I also thought GA had clay soil but I haven't seen any.

I don't really want to donate my own compost to the garden, 'cause I'm selfish that way. I do have access to an area where all the folks around here dump their yard waste. I thought maybe I'd find some compost or whatever if I poked around there but this late in the season it is mostly limbs.

There is a large pile of fresh to dry grass clippings that I could get to without causing an avalanche or something equally dumb. I'm wanting to incorporate the grass clippings into the soil and thought I'd check with the people here and see if it a/ would cause any issues b/ make the soil loose and increase the water holding capacity and c/ be ok with just grass clippings and no other amendments.

So if it is a good thing to do - How much grass do you think I should add. This is LEAN soil not much in the way of anything other than sand. I did find one bed that had a bunch of old mulch under a few inches of soil that the poor plants can't seem to penetrate.

The soil is very dry, the water just runs off and since there isn't really any water access it needs to be improved to minimize water carrying... 'cause I'm just as lazy as I am selfish. LOL

Thanks

Comments (10)