SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
norabelle_gw

Help Needed: Student-Community Garden Project Soil Quandry

norabelle
14 years ago

Hello,

I have been an avid reader of this forum for a little over two years, and I have benefited more than I can write in this post from the FAQs, insightful posters, and on-going discussions.

However, I believe I am at a place where I need additional help that I cannot access by FAQs and google searches of this forum. :)

Backstory:

I have been asked to help start a kitchen garden project that links an elementary school with a nearby assisted living community.

I have been told that the retirement home's chef would oversee the garden, and he has stated that he wants the soil dug out to a depth of two feet and replaced because installing raised beds would be thousands of dollars. (Note: the space is approximately 2,500 sq ft. The school and assisted living management want the soil dug out and replaced for free. !!!) For a number of reasons that I have read about here regarding bad soil, I think this idea is not the way to go.

The assisted living complex and garden's location overlook a river and are on land that has been occupied by paper mills for a century. I am having the soil tested for heavy metals, but I am confident the soil is not going to be healthy.

Here is where the Soil Forum's guidance is needed:

I want to propose using raised beds with a sheet-composting method. (I am envisioning using a SFG "Mel's Mix" type soil mixture to begin this project.) Are there published, as well as anecdotal, resources you can guide me to that show this method is more economical and rational than the soil excavation and replacement idea?

I want to have these resources to refer to and bring with me to an upcoming meeting with committee members and the chef, who appears to be the hardest person to win over.

My city offers community compost that is extremely reasonable in price and would be great for this project. (I have not been brave enough to use it for anything but my flower beds. I use my own compost on all my veggie beds.) I called the city for a chemical analysis of the compost but was told "we don't do that." I am planning to have the compost tested for heavy metals to see if it is safe for vegetable gardening for this project--and my own veggies if it turns out to be a-okay. Does this seem like a good idea?

I think materials for raised bed frames can be purchased from ReStore for much less than "1,000s of dollars." A few handy parents and students could put together two or three beds for the first year. Does this seem reasonable?

If you have read this far, thank you!

Any other advice or insights you have for me regarding this project are greatly appreciated. I think this is a wonderful opportunity to get elementary students involved with gardening, composting, and community building, and an opportunity for residents at the assisted living facility to enjoy gardening, community building, and garden produce.

Regards,

Nora

Comments (29)