SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redsky42_gw

Electric PTO problems

15 years ago

I'm bringing this thread over from the Lawn Boy..OOPS!, I meant lawn mower forum XD, in hopes of increasing my chances of finding a solution.

Original post: I've got a Husqvarna LTH130 that I was given and have been working on. I recently rebuilt the trans and it was working pretty good. Now I've been having problems with the PTO. It's a Warner 5217-2. The question is will these electric PTOs let go if they encounter too much resistance or get hot? I have had it disengage on me when hitting some tall grass(3ft tall) and nearing the end of cutting the yard. The other day I hit some hidden sticks and it disengaged. Now it won't engage at all. I briefly looked under the deck and didn't see an obstruction but there could be something wedged a little further up there. Has anyone had a problem like this before? Are there any sensors I should be checking? Or is it just all used up? the median price I've seen on these is around $150 with $125 being the cheapest I've found. Any advice or leads are greatly appreciated.

Follow-up: I finally got around to messing with this over the weekend. I pulled the plug on the PTO and saw that it was patially melted...whoa. Made up some leads to run directly from the battery and tried it out...nothing. Swapped the leads on the terminals just in case...still nothing. Did the same thing with it running and yet again nothing. So I'm pretty convinced the PTO itself needs replacement. Also, I figure this rider is more than 10 years old and has seen fairly regular use. Is it common for the PTO to go out after that amount of time?

Present: I was recently told it could be the operator presence system that's not letting the PTO engage. HOWEVER, before I got the mower someone had already eliminated the seat switch and hard wired the leads. Is it possible for a relay to only partially fail? Also, the mower drives fine and I don't have anything happening like the engine cutting off when I release the clutch. And shouldn't it have worked regardless when applying power directly to the unit? What am I missing here? Or do I just need a new PTO?

Comments (5)