SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlady48_gw

'Peachies Pick' & 'Hummello Monieri'

gardenlady48
15 years ago

I just received some seeds from deadheaded Stokes Aster & Lambs Ear.....can I go ahead and try and germinate these seeds? Or do I need to let them go thru the chilled treatment process...?

TIA

Comment (1)

• Donna
    15 years ago

"Making More Plants" by Ken Druse says the following:
    "Stokesia: sow seed indoors at 70 degrees 8 to 10 weeks before last frost date. Germination takes 20 to 30 days"

You'll love Peachie's Pick! It is very upright, never sprawls and has beautiful blue blooms. As it happens, the original Peachie who discovered this variety lives in my town and was my neighbor and first gardening mentor here. She's exactly the way you would think an old southern woman named Peachie would be: spunky and delightful.

I'm a bit confused about what you want for the other one. Lambs Ears (at least what I know as Lambs Ears) are Stachys byzantine. I also have Betony, which is Stachys Monieri. Is that what you want? Anyway, either way, this is what Druse says:

"Stachys: Seed need light to germinate. Sow indoors at 70 to 75 degrees with night temps at 10 degrees. 8 to 10 weeks before last frost date. Germination takes 14 to 30 days." This one sounds tricky to me.

Good luck!