SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mythumbsnotgreen

I Need Help Identifying a Tree

MyThumbsNotGreen
11 years ago

Hi, I am new here so I am not sure if this is where I am supposed to post this. I also apologize in advance for the lengthy post...

I recently acquired a "bonsai" from a local home improvement store...I hang my head in shame that that is all the tag said...I would list the company it came from but since you all are into plants you probably already can take a guess at who it is. lol

I know I shouldn't have bought it seeing as how I know nothing about plants. Well I actually have a couple trees I have bought to learn on, but I know what the rest are and am in the process of caring for them and so far to my surprise they are doing good.
The price was right ($10) and I know that it was sure to die if it stayed there (seeing as that is the fate of all the plants at that store...), so I figured I couldn't go wrong. After seeing it slowly deteriorate after a couple weeks of walking by I decided I could grab it and hopefully breathe a little life into it. I have so far removed all the stupid rocks and moss from the top and watered it and to my surprise it started pushing out new growth.

Here is my problem, I don't know what in the world it is. It was just labeled as a "bonsai" with no heads up about what the specific care needs of the plant are. It has been nice here for a few days so I put it outside during the days when it gets above 60 so it could get some good sunshine, but it appears to like it in shaded areas better. In the sun the leafs really dry out and a couple have died as you might see in one of my pics, but when it is inside the leafs wilt a little, so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place as to where to keep it.

Here are some pictures of the tree, the leafs, and a close up of the bark. The tree as I have it is about 7-8 inches tall and the trunk is about a 1.5 inches in diameter right now possibly 1.75 inches at the base, so I assume it is either a older tree (5+ years) or a massive cutting considering the nasty hack mark at the very top.

Enough talk, here are the pics:

{{gwi:362949}}
{{gwi:362950}}
{{gwi:362951}}
{{gwi:362952}}
{{gwi:362953}}
{{gwi:362954}}

I am hoping that someone will be able to help me get it identified so I can get it to optimal health. Thanks in advance for any help. If more pictures are needed I will take more.

Once again I apologize if this is the wrong area to post this.

Ryan

This post was edited by MyThumbsNotGreen on Tue, May 7, 13 at 19:51

Comments (8)