SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crobot337

Starting to build organic matter

crobot337
16 years ago

I am starting up a small scale veggie farm (10 acres) and need some serious organic matter in my soil. the soil is extremely infertile as well, as i cant find a single legume growing here. i am probably going to do alfalfa on a majority of it for bulk organic matter for sheet mulching. also wanna try root crops such as sugar beet, mangel, parsnip, rutabaga, daikon, and turnip. i would hay them a few times during the season, then kill them off at the end of the season so that the roots rot in place (what is a good organic way to kill them off. keep in mind i dont want to till them up. just let them rot in place). anyone ever done this? i have read some about it, but not enough to be comfortable doing it. i would probably mix all of the species to give it some diversity as well as varying depth of roots. plus it would avoid pests, and they would be pulling different nutrients so i could plant higher density with less competition for nutrients. also wondering if using a field pea or bean would be beneficial to get some nitrogen to them. i would probably leave that field fallow, and sheet mulch the following year to avoid pests from all of the rotting roots. maybe plant another legume or something the following year just as a cover crop. i am very new to this, and basically clueless, so any advice is appreciated!!

Comments (9)