SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Mail order tree arrived fully leafed out - what now?

caliloo
16 years ago

Hey all!

I ordered a Tri Color Beech from a nursery in Oregon, and they sent a very nice small specimen that is fully leafed out. This is a replacement for a sub par tree they had sent earlier.

Here is my dilemma. The subpar tree arrived a couple of weeks ago, also fully leafed out. I put the sub par tree in a 5 gal pot (potting mix and pine fines 50 - 50) and put it on the east side of my house. That means full morning sun followed by dappled shade to full shade. in the 2 weeks it has been there it is almost completely crispy. I didn;t give it much thought since I was expecting a replacement anyway.

Well, the replacement is here and beautiful! I am worried it will suffer the same crispy leaf fate. I potted it (24"pot the tree is a 1 gal size) in the same proportion of potting mix/fines and watered it until the pot drained and have it in dappled shade. It can feasibly stay there all season, as it is on the small side for where I want to put it anyway. Should I hit it with some Wilt Pruf? I really don't want this one to dessicate the way the other one did - I suspect the other one is a goner :-(

Please help me save this little cutie!

Thanks

Alexa

Comments (10)